Raise the roof once in a while

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Raise the roof once in a while

Post by Kentish Paul » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:47 am

For a number of reasons, mainly connected with my Colin-like health I have not used the roof space in my Bongo although I have been driving it quite regularly.

Took a look at it yesterday before I go into hospital. First thing is that despite sitting under baking sun for the past few weeks, some rain water (just a little) discharged from around the seal. An obvious opportunity to check for rust (none found). I then notice a little mould on the tent itself and quite a lot on the covers of the foam bedding. Easily attended to thanks to advice on this forum.

Not surprised to find this with Bongo sitting on the drive for over a year since roof last raised and thei will not be an issue to those who regularly camp. It was also an opportunity to WD40 the struts and hinges, spray the rubber seals with rubber preserver and check that the roof does operate correctly at home rather than in a remote location.

Cheers.

See you after the OP.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
Keswick

Post by Keswick » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:41 pm

A question:

You mention rubber preserver. Where do you get this from and is there a make or name you recommend?

Get well soon!
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:24 am

Keswick, I just use one of the sprays that are marketed to add a (temporary) shine to tyres. Loads in Halfrauds. They claim to preserve the tyres as well (well they would wouldnt they) but indeed I found that they keep the roof and door seals moist and subtle throughout all weathers.

Cheers
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
Keswick

Post by Keswick » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:29 am

Thanks Paul.

Return to “Techie Stuff”