help V6 Diagnostics

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

joca
Bongonaut

help V6 Diagnostics

Post by joca » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi All, I have been having problems with my V6 Bongo for months. It has been into four garages and they could not find the fault. So do any of you out there know of a garage that can do a dianostic check on the car. thanks John
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: help V6 Diagnostics

Post by haydn callow » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:35 pm

What seems to be the problem ??
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:21 am

haydn callow wrote:What seems to be the problem ??

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... hp?t=52596
joca
Bongonaut

Post by joca » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:54 am

Hi The van runs well then it cuts out, No splutering or any thing. After 30 mins or so it will start again. Taking it to anothe garage on Tuesday. They said that they will check it, I told them that it has already been checked and every things seem to be working fine. That is why I need a diagnostic check to see if ther are any faults. I have been to three Mazda garages but they can not help either.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:05 am

What was the outcome on removing / loosening the filler cap? There are only 3 things required to make an engine run: fuel, spark (at the correct time) and oxygen. Realistically its only going to be one of the first two, so is there a spark and fuel after it cuts out? As it affects LPG too, it sound like an ignition problem as that will be common to both fuel types. It may be worth disconnecting the LPG ECU as this piggy-backs of the main ECU, so a fault here could be an issue.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:13 am

Hi,are these people too far away from you,they seem to know what they are doing.??

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ilit=fixed
joca
Bongonaut

Post by joca » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi Simon, I removed the petrol cap as you sugested and all seemed fine for a while. Then the problem started again. When I did release the cap it seemed to release a lot of pressure. I had the van taken to Contract Mechanics in Warwickshire. Simon there seemed to Know about the Bongo. He said the the van did not stop on him. He said that he checked every thing out and all seemed to be working out. He said thsat he cleaned something out under the passengers seat that was to do with the petrol. The van has also been taken to hillton gas at Wolverhampton. They are Prinns LPG gas fitters. They disconected the Gas as you mentiond. It still keeps stoping on petrol or LPG. I can not keep taking it to garages as surely they all check for spark, fual etc. I will contact the garage In Cardiff as Teenmall sugested to see if they have the diagnostic equipment.
I am at my witts end with this. If garages in Britian can not find the prob. What chance do I have explaining it to foringer abroad. Thanks All for your help. John.
Its got that bad that I am now starting to look at VWs
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:47 pm

[quote="Simon Jones"]There are only 3 things required to make an engine run: fuel, spark (at the correct time) and oxygen. Realistically its only going to be one of the first two....../quote]

But it could be the third one! Over the last month or so we have had a couple of phone calls (one from a garage, one from an owner, neither of them frequenters of this Forum) who have described similar problems. One had an LPG conversion, the other didn't. In both cases the problem was a faulty Oxygen ("Lambda") sensor. Once new sensors were fitted, all was OK.

These sensors are part number FF5518861. They cost in the region of £160 plus postage & VAT.

Joca, you should be able to obtain them from Mazda or perhaps even Ford dealers as I'm certain they are also found on Mazda B2500 and Ford Ranger pick-ups. If not, we can get one shipped from Japan for you, but this takes about 2 weeks.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Nevets
Bongolier

Post by Nevets » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Ian wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:There are only 3 things required to make an engine run: fuel, spark (at the correct time) and oxygen. Realistically its only going to be one of the first two....../quote]

But it could be the third one! Over the last month or so we have had a couple of phone calls (one from a garage, one from an owner, neither of them frequenters of this Forum) who have described similar problems. One had an LPG conversion, the other didn't. In both cases the problem was a faulty Oxygen ("Lambda") sensor. Once new sensors were fitted, all was OK.

These sensors are part number FF5518861. They cost in the region of £160 plus postage & VAT.

Joca, you should be able to obtain them from Mazda or perhaps even Ford dealers as I'm certain they are also found on Mazda B2500 and Ford Ranger pick-ups. If not, we can get one shipped from Japan for you, but this takes about 2 weeks.
Quite unusual for a faulty lambda sensor to cause a cut out non start situation but bongo's are quite "unusual" at the best of times
My guess would be Crank/rpm sensor...£160 seems alot of dollar to lay out if it doesn't cure your fault.
But as The Guvnor says he's had two recent purchases of the lambda/o2 sensor and that's sorted it...
Cheers and best of luck Steve.
I am the only bongo in the village.......(not anymore there's two of us now "Damn it)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:15 pm

Nevets wrote:Quite unusual for a faulty lambda sensor to cause a cut out non start situation but bongo's are quite "unusual" at the best of times
Could it be that a faulty lamba sensor sends a message to the ECU, which decides the air/fuel mix is wrong, and shuts the engine down?
joca
Bongonaut

Post by joca » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Ian, Andy Pole who I purchesed the van From who is a frequent visiter to these pages had it changed awile back. Ian I emailed you a few days ago about coil as someone said it could be that. I would like to try that first. Do any of you think that it could be that. Hilton auto gas checked out the Cam sensor and said that it was OK. Thanks John
Nevets
Bongolier

Post by Nevets » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:24 pm

Ian wrote:
Nevets wrote:Quite unusual for a faulty lambda sensor to cause a cut out non start situation but bongo's are quite "unusual" at the best of times
Could it be that a faulty lamba sensor sends a message to the ECU, which decides the air/fuel mix is wrong, and shuts the engine down?
The lambda sensor does send a signal to the ecu just to alter the fuelling/emissions, but if it normally goes faulty you would also get poor perfomance, poor idling, engine hunting(revs going up n down)

Not just a straight cut out with no warning

But on the rare occasion they can stop... Bit of info below and how to test.. :)

http://www.aa-academy.com/Training/Lear ... ensors.asp

Hope this helps Steve
I am the only bongo in the village.......(not anymore there's two of us now "Damn it)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:44 pm

joca wrote:Hi Ian, Andy Pole who I purchesed the van From who is a frequent visiter to these pages had it changed awile back. Ian I emailed you a few days ago about coil as someone said it could be that. I would like to try that first. Do any of you think that it could be that. Hilton auto gas checked out the Cam sensor and said that it was OK. Thanks John
The coil is on order. Will contact you when it arrives, probably about a week.
joca
Bongonaut

Post by joca » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:31 pm

thanks Ian. Leta=s hope I get it sorted then I will see at the Bash. John
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Hello John,

I replied to you PM the other day. Real shame you are having issues.

You can test the lambda sensor theory by disconnecting it. The bongo passed an MOT with flying colours with it disconnected due to a broken wire and ran fine, albeit using a bit more fuel which led me to find the broken wire.

When you look at garages for help, ask them if they have a Carman Scan lite diagnostic machine with the mazda plug. This is the scanner my local LPG garage has and I know it read both the engine and gearbox ECU's. This could save time and money swapping out parts if the fault is logged.

Good luck, keep in touch and keep me posted.

Andy

Return to “Techie Stuff”