tappet noise v6

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: tappet noise v6

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Dunno if this is relevant or not ..

To me my V6 seems to be a very quiet engine .. but there again I do have an hearing aid ..!!

I only use fully synthetic oil ... which is more 'oily' and searching than mineral / semi synthetic oils .. so maybe it will reach the parts other oils can't .. (I think maybe that's why my cam seals may have started to weep after changing over to fully synthetic) ..

Another adjustment I did .. and found a to be an absolutely amazing improvement ... (particularly on tick over on LPG with a 'cold' engine) was to close the plug gap up to a (very) tight 0.1mm ..

Cash wise a cheaper fixit for me at the moment .. rather than changing the fifteen year old rotor ..dizzy cap .. plug leads ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:40 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi David
We're fine-ish :lol: ...eventually succumbed to a Garmin GPS as per our last chat :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyway...not heard of V6 piston problems????...if you're looking at points southwest for a move, why not combine a house hunt with a trip to Allans down in Plymouth - no better advice...It's a pity we don't have a sound link , but I bet you could post the noise on Youtube for a diagnosis???? I suppose you've checked timing, and sparkplugs?...plugs can often imitate almost any noise.
Regarding the cement....I just might! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Well, with Garmin you can presumably locate all those excellent Bulgarian doctors you've told us about before, Helen - they'll either finish you off, or change you from fine-ish to just plain old fine :wink:

Will certainly use Allans if/when we get there but, as I say, until it's sorted it isn't going out of our local area (dread the idea of having a seriously busted Bongo miles from home), so trips darn sarf meanwhile have to be in Di's trusty Nissan Note. Fortunately, we do have a very good engine repair shop here in Chester (well, just in N Wales), and it will go there meanwhile if the Wynns doesn't win.

I've got a good Machine Mart mechanics stethoscope, and with that it does sound rather as though the noise is top end, rear of the near side cylinder bank, so I'm going with that for the moment. I've listened to lots of similar sounds (from assorted engines) on YouTube, to be honest - but they were variously ascribed to almost as many causes as YouTube videos, so I think that with this sort of noise you've really got to be able to localise it as well as hear it. cheffy34's split cambelt knock was a case in point (http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... se#p560201) - our noise doesn't seem to be in there, anyway.

Not plugs, and apart from the noise, it runs very well, so timing's not an issue.

Cheers,

David
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Sorry not answered ..... When I put the valve/tappet treatment in the result was pretty instant.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:58 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:Dunno if this is relevant or not ..

To me my V6 seems to be a very quiet engine .. but there again I do have an hearing aid ..!!

I only use fully synthetic oil ... which is more 'oily' and searching than mineral / semi synthetic oils .. so maybe it will reach the parts other oils can't .. (I think maybe that's why my cam seals may have started to weep after changing over to fully synthetic) ..

Another adjustment I did .. and found a to be an absolutely amazing improvement ... (particularly on tick over on LPG with a 'cold' engine) was to close the plug gap up to a (very) tight 0.1mm ..

Cash wise a cheaper fixit for me at the moment .. rather than changing the fifteen year old rotor ..dizzy cap .. plug leads ..!!
That's a good tip re the plug gaps, Mike.

I've set my LPG ecu is to switch back to petrol operation below 900 rpm at the moment, as during warm up (between 40C and 70C), it won't happily idle on LPG - since a new set of LPG injectors was fitted a couple of months back. Once I've cleared the noise issue (one thing at a time, whenever possible), I'll try a smaller plug gap.

Have used fully synthetic since the first oil change after getting the Bongo - Mobil 1 0W-40 for a couple of years but currently Halfords 5W-40

Cheers,

David

Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:02 pm

haydn callow wrote:Sorry not answered ..... When I put the valve/tappet treatment in the result was pretty instant.
Thanks Haydn.

I'll just keep praying for a while, then.

There have also been suggestions that some sustained high revs operation can sometimes clear a stuck valve lifter, so maybe that's next - although I've been a bit loathe to stress it hard, until more certain of the cause. I think I'll pootle round to the engine people, to ask them to listen to it before I try that.

Reagrds

David

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:01 pm

I've heard mixed reviews about using engine flush as part of an oil change. A mechanic I was chatting to recently does not use it as it can flush out some of the oil from inside the hydraulic tappets. By that time I'd already used some Wynns stuff and when I did the oil change there did seem to be a new noise which has not gone away.

Return to “Techie Stuff”