R.I.P

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

zzRGBzz

R.I.P

Post by zzRGBzz » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:50 am

hi guys im a new member of the club and was very pleased with my new bongo,iv only had it aweek but after 2 days it over heated very quickly one morning so i rang the garage where i bought it and they were very quick to pick it up and lend me a van so i could get about. they brought it back yesterday telling me they could not find any proplem but maybe it was a air lock so they renewed the head gasket and a few other bits! i got in it this morning and after 3 miles it over heated again and no hot air would come through blowers!!! it seems to have water in header tank so very unhappily iv had to take a day off work ring the garage again and wait for them to pick it up :(
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:30 am

Does the garage sell many Bongos? I mean, do they seem technically up to speed on the Bongo?

I know you know but you MUST insist on a satisfactory, complete and permanant fix. There are acres of threads on this subject recently with some very valuable advice and experiemces. If the gargae do not know about this Form by all means give them print-outs to assist them in diagnosis.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
zzRGBzz

Post by zzRGBzz » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:10 am

well they have just been and picked it up again telling me it will be put right and they are sorry. and as good will they are turning my seats round for me hee hee and valeting and full tank of juice so i hope they also fix my over heating. oh and yes they are mazda specalists and say they deal alot with bongos we shall see
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:58 am

Ask them if they have bled the cooling system after trying to sort it. there is no point in putting a new head gasket on and leaving a bloody great air bubble in the system.
ferdyb

Post by ferdyb » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:33 pm

Having read on here about all the troubles people have had after an episode of overheating, I would be seriously thinking about asking for my money back I'm afraid.

ferdy
white van man

Post by white van man » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:51 pm

no point in changing a head gasket just as a maybe,did the head get pressure tested,was it skimmed,has the rad been flow checked?if none of the above werent done then i would have to assume that thet are not up to speed with bongo problems and thats assuming that they know how to bleed the system properly!!!
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:54 am

I would think that the coolant system still has an airlock, no heaters running, water is not circulating throughout the system, show the garage the bleed pipe and ask them the procedure they use to bleed the system :wink:
Image Pete
zzRGBzz

Post by zzRGBzz » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:04 am

THE STRANGE THING WAS THAT IT WORKED SOME OF THE TIME AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN GO RED HOT OVER HEATING THEN I CUD START IT UP AGAIN AND THE BLOWERS WOULD BLOW OUT HOT AIR AND THE TEMP BACK TO NORMAL !
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:04 am

Do V6 petrol Bongos ever suffer from these problems ? If not , why not? Is the rad /cooling system completly different?
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:40 am

hi ZeeZee,
If your supplier will listen tell them that air gets trapped in the rear heaters and that it must be removed by using the bleed pipe under the passenger seat!
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:44 am

Thats an interesting one Vanlivet. I wonder if the water pump on the petrol engine is more powerful and shifts the trapped air quicker. Being lighter petrol engines heat quicker and perhaps need more cooling.

I imagine the vehicle heating being much the same but the feed and return to the engine may be very different.
zzRGBzz

Post by zzRGBzz » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:53 am

thats a great bit of info thanx i will be ringing them tomoz cheers :lol:
Bumbly1

Post by Bumbly1 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:48 pm

vanvliet wrote:Do V6 petrol Bongos ever suffer from these problems ? If not , why not? Is the rad /cooling system completly different?
Very few v6's in UK. The problem is not the engine, it is the cooling system which clogs up and causes the overheating.

Tom
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:57 pm

I may be wrong, but don't diesel engines generate more heat than petrol engines???????
Image Pete
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:26 pm

Hmm interesting you would expect them to, more energy in diesel than petrol
. I think due to the fact that there is more metal in a diesel engine they take longer to heat up and the heat is disipated by the larger surface area. My friends diesel Skoda takes about 5 miles to reach optimum heat.

Return to “Techie Stuff”