Roof motor frozen

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

skyhigh123
Bongonaut

Roof motor frozen

Post by skyhigh123 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:50 pm

I thought it might be a good idea to raise the roof this morning to give the roof tent fabric an airing. The roof raised slowly and, as usual didn't quite make it to the top (it often requires a gentle push to raise fully even with the engine running). Today, though I could not persuade it to lock in position and stop beeping. I then tried to lower the roof but no reponse.
I did the usual checks-handbrake fully on, fuse 12 but still nothing apart from the usual beeps.
I could detect a change in the engine note as I pushed the up button but still no movement but I didn't want to do too much of this for fear of something being jammed and the possibility of burning out the motor(s).
The next thing to do was to remove the motor covers and inspect the motors. Then the problem was revealed, there was a build up of ice on the outside of the nearside motor and presumably inside it also. 5 minutes with a hairdryer melted the ice and it all worked and I was able to lower the roof.
Obviously the air temperature was still below freezing this morning and when the roof was raised, cold air was able to get to the motor and freeze moisture which had condensed, inside the closed roof, onto the motor.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Re: Roof motor frozen

Post by philpdr » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Nicely solved.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Good 'top tip' as well. Never heard of that happening before. Something to bear in mind camping in the winter.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
wormey
Supreme Being

Post by wormey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:43 am

Nice one, I'll remember that one.
Daz and debs

Return to “Techie Stuff”