Converting solild back seat to folding anyone done this?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jimbob738
Bongolier
Location: Jaaaaacksdale! but a nottingham boy throught and through! you reds

Converting solild back seat to folding anyone done this?

Post by Jimbob738 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Hello guys question again i know this is a re-run but i cant find the old topic.

i have at present solid back seats, before christmas i landed myself the factory bongo kitchen which i intend to fit to my bongo, i also picked up a set a rear folders for 20 notes i then realised how they mount onto studs welded on to the arches.

my question is has anyone managed to fit these seats into a bongo which previously had solid seat in the back?
kawasaki kid
Tribal Elder

Re: Converting solild back seat to folding anyone done this?

Post by kawasaki kid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:07 pm

I don`t think anyone has attempted to convert from a bench to flip ups as the amount of work involved is quite alot - the general consensus is if you really want a van with flip up seats is to buy a van with them fitted. Not much help am I #-o - but then again you could be the first to attempt it. :)
If I had all the money I ever spent on my Freda ............ I`d spend it on my Freda.
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:16 pm

i am starting to think that way myself or making some sort of half R&R bed/seat thing to fill the gap i want my kitchen in tbh
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:28 pm

I think there's info on the forum about doing it, but it does involve welding brackets & threaded studs to the wheelarch. Some folk convert it the other way round so need to remove the turrets froom the bodywork so perhaps you could get a set that have been cut off.
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:38 pm

That was another train of thought getting some off a scrapper welding them into place i think that might have to be done coz i just done alot to my van and then to sell it would be a ball ache and plus i hate the back seats take up so much space to fold them would be mint especially on pic nic days.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Jimbob738 wrote:That was another train of thought getting some off a scrapper welding them into place i think that might have to be done coz i just done alot to my van and then to sell it would be a ball ache and plus i hate the back seats take up so much space to fold them would be mint especially on pic nic days.

Yep thats exactly how to do it, do drill out the spot welds and remove them, take them to your can and seam them on, try and get the rear panels too as there are lots of plastic trim bits for the mounts and panels, which will look a bit gash if you just hack the panels apart.

Julian
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:04 am

I got set of rear folding seat mounts for a steal 30 pounds with pictures of where they go and all fittings im goign to have them welded into place and get the locking in latch and put my bongo kitchen in hey presto jobs a gooden.
myvanwe
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by myvanwe » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Jimbob738 wrote:I got set of rear folding seat mounts for a steal 30 pounds with pictures of where they go and all fittings im goign to have them welded into place and get the locking in latch and put my bongo kitchen in hey presto jobs a gooden.
Do you still have the the pictures of where they go please as I would really like to do this to my V reg bong which has a solid rear seat - why ever did they stop making the fold up ones, they're much more flexible and useable. Thank you. Rita
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:41 pm

https://goo.gl/photos/X9vrpLSqpC6t812H8
Link to interior showing rear wheel arch seat mounting points.
On this vehicle the turrets are not spot welded they are MIG welded around the periphery.
You will also need the loops you can see on the floor welded in place as well as other interior bits and bobs.
As you say it may be easier to construct a box/storage seat over the wheel arch although it would be no use for travelling it could form additional storage.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Jillygumbo had flip up rears fitted by Allans, Plymouth, fairly recently.

Might be worth a PM to her or Forum Admin Doone, ie Mrs Allan.

Return to “Techie Stuff”