Loss of turn indicators and hazard warning lights.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Grant

Loss of turn indicators and hazard warning lights.

Post by Grant » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:40 pm

Help please!

Whilst towing yesterday my trailer board cable became chafed and the wires were exposed and shorted across. Since this has happened I've lost my indicators and hazard warning lights on the Bongo. I've checked the fuse under the steering wheel and that is ok. I can hear the relay clicking away butn there is not a flicker from the indicators.
Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Grant
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:36 pm

have you checked the main fuses under the bonnet?
Grant

Post by Grant » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:46 pm

Thanks for your response waycarb,

No not yet. To be honest I'm still trying to work out how to open the little black box. whichh one of them could it be? I read somewhere that it's difficult to find repacement fuses for those under the bonnet.
Regards,
Grant
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:53 pm

i took the one that had blown to my local car shop motor factors and he ordered a load in (good job as i blew ot a couple of times :oops: )

its the 3rd fuse(15amp) up on the 1st column on in the large fuse box

if you cant source one straight away, just break off the clear top and re bridge the connection using a bit of copper wire as a temperary measure.
Grant

Post by Grant » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:34 pm

Ok!
I've found the catch on the side and can now see the fuses. The green 40 amp fuse looks black so perhaps it's burned out, but it's marked as fan2.

No! I've tried replacing it with one of the 30a fuses but the indicators still do not work :(
Grant
Grant

Post by Grant » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:40 pm

This may be a long job. I've got a 95 Ford Freda , perhaps its different from your one The box under the bonnet only has 4 fuses. 100a two 30am and one 40a.
I've checked the 10a indicator fuse inside the car and that is ok. In fact in desperation I took out all the fuses and checked them, they are all ok. The relay clicks away merrily but thats as far as it goes.
I'm now totally at a loss.
help!!!!!

Grant
Gary Appleby

Post by Gary Appleby » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:26 pm

Have you got loose wires hanging from the bongo or was it just from the tailboard ?

When it shorted it could have blew a wire !, best let an auto elec look at it.

Or find someone with multi meter experience.

GJA
Grant

Post by Grant » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:36 pm

No it was the cable on the tailboard that chafed.

I'm trying to find an auto electrician, not easy. :(

I still think bongos are great, but I can't hink why at the moment.
Grant
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:56 pm

grant...........there is 2 fuse boxs under the bonnet?

1 small fuse box with 4 fuses in behind the battery :!:
and the other one :idea: ,is bigger, and its is in the middle of the engine bay towards the back :wink:
Grant

Post by Grant » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:24 am

Hi waycar8,
Thanks for the info. I've located the third fuse box, Bongos are confusing to say the least, but all the fuses look ok. I've also located a auto electrician so I'll get him to have a look. it could be one of the fuses has blown but does not show to the naked eye. At least I hope thats what it is.
I'll let you know if I get it sorted.
Grant

Post by Grant » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:26 pm

Hi,
Problem solved. It was a fuse. The hazard warning light fuse had blown but did not show up by visual inspection. All working. Thanks for your assistance. at least I know that there are three fuse boxes and whjere they all are now.
:D
Incidently I found out something else. Not all fuses are the same. my vehicle came supplied with a spare set of bulbs and fuses. The 10a fuse in the set does not fit the socket. It looks identical but the plastic casing is very slightly larger, just enough to stop it going into the socket. So if you have the same set of bulbs and fuses it may be worth checking that the fuses fit before you need to use them for real.
Regards,
Grant
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:54 pm

cheap fix then, lol :lol:
Grant

Post by Grant » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:05 pm

Yes, 15 quid for the electrician, 1.50 for a couple of fuses, could have been a lot worse, and I'm finding my way around a Bongo :roll:
regards,
Grant
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:45 am

Grant, you found a very good-value electrician.

I am worried about what you said concerning the fuse sizes/ Would you say it was deliberate or bad/inconsistent desighn. I definitely want to carry with me fuses that fit just in case...

Can anyone throw some light on this please?

Paul
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
Grant

Wrong size fuses

Post by Grant » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:53 am

Hi,
I've asked AVA to check the fuses they are supplying. It may be that the ones I have are a rogue batch. I've measured the fuse carefully and it is the plastic body that is oversize, only by a tiny amount but sufficient to stop it entering the fuse block. Replacement fuses bought from my local motor factor fit perfectly.
Regards,
Grant

Return to “Techie Stuff”