Service failed Windscreen Washer Motor with Pics DONT DELETE

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Diplomat
Supreme Being

Re: Service failed Windscreen Washer Motor with Pics DONT DELETE

Post by Diplomat » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:56 pm

It so happens that this was my repair job earmarked for this afternoon.

A recent history of intermittent functioning of the front screen pump had, up to now, been fixed by waggling the connector to the pump.
working on it is somewhat frustrating as one can't be waggling the connector at the same time as operating the column switch.

having stumbled on this thread yesterday, I resolved to give it a thorough overhaul. The pump armature was totally stuck. I freed it with some medical clamp seizers, applied 12V from a small SLA battery and it whirred into life.

For good measure I swilled out the motor enclosure with industrial alcohol, cleaned out the reservoir (no evidence of sludge or goo) and had it all back together in 20 minutes. Also gave the exposed connector contacts a going over with a diamond spatula but couldn't do much with the female ones other than hope they got scratched by the male ones!

let's hope it ha a few more years of fault free operation. Nothing worse than a smearing screen in light rain. Had to keep a window cleaning spray bottle handy and reach around from the drivers window to give it a squirt!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
BongoRaceTruck
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoRaceTruck » Tue May 08, 2018 11:12 am

Brilliant, rear was all rusty inside, now it works. On reassembly neither worked until I disassembled and cleared the penetrating spray out with GT85 and cleaned all the electrical connectors! Glad I checked first!

Matt
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Thu May 17, 2018 12:01 pm

I discovered this post when my front squirter failed. Saved myself some money in the process by fixing it !!

The impellor was stuck with crud I assume. So cleaned out, and all back to normal ! Fantastic. A 21 year old motor still going strong.

Thanks Forum !

=D>
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Helped me out, thanks guys. =D>

Simple job and nil pounds. :D
BongoRaceTruck
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoRaceTruck » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 pm

On reassembly the pump body was leaking so I ordered a mx5 pump from eBay and removed the spade connectors from the harness connector to enable reconnection to the differently arranged plug on the mx5 pump, hey presto!

Return to “Techie Stuff”