Roof Tent Removal

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

maxi_77
Bongolier

Roof Tent Removal

Post by maxi_77 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:45 pm

Having just taken out our tent to replace the mosquito mesh I though some comment may be useful.

Tools

No 3 Philips screwdriver and No 3 philips point on a 1/4" ratchet (needed for some of the corner set screws) for the upper set screws
No 2 Philips screwdriver for the lower plastic rivet screws
Medium flat blade screwdriver (to hold the plastic rivets still whilst the screw is undone and to ease out some/most of the upper screw plugs)
4mm drill to remove pop rivets
Silicone lubricant
Tools to remove the E washers on the spring up arms, and pliers to partly straighten the spring hooks

I removed the bottom screw rivets first which was quite easy once you got going. I then did the upper set screws. All but two of them did not unscrew rather the inserts simply unglued and turned hence the flat bladed screwdriver to ease the more reluctant ones out. Leaving the middle ones in each side to the end seems best. With all the screws out and the back springs removedit is relatively easy to move the whole thing forward and out, easier with 2 people.

Removing the tent from the frame
First remove the front spring arms, I unbent the hook end of the two springs first so I could take the springs out first. Then after removing the E washer from the pivot pin the pin can be slid out and the arm removed. Next drill out the pop rivets holding the rear part of the lower frame. Then after applying the silicone lubricant the upper and lower rear sections can be slid off. Next you need to remove the pop rivets holding front section of the upper frame to the two sides, this also releases two fabric straps which are secored at these corners. Now after lubricating the sides slide the top and bottom sides out of the frame, it seems easier to do all at the same time as this avoids distorting the frame. Finally the front sections can be slid of the tent, this needs two people one guiding the bead in one end especially at the start as the fabric goes round a 90 degree corner, and one pulling at the other end.

Now I can get the tent of the the canvas workshop, and try to unscrew the upper set screws from the inserts and then araldite them back into the roof ready for re-installation. I certainly do not plan to use loctite on the set screws as was done on manufacture.

Watch this space for the ri-intallation
White diesel Bongo
J and J
Bongonaut

Re: Roof Tent Removal

Post by J and J » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Good Afternoon.
Ian (the Bongo Master) has just sent me a email with a link you wrote regarding the removal of Bongo Roof Tent.
I have down loaded it as soon we are due to have a new roof tent to be made for Us.
this brings me to a question....at the bottom of your article 'having just taken our tent.....etc you wrote Watch this space for the re installation....can't seem to find this thread anywhere.
Do you have any advice regarding tent removal/re installation?
kindest regards Jane Hale
my email address is [email protected]
Happy New Year!
Jane and John (J & J)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 pm

This might also help,just page down to find it.

http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk/32132.html
J and J
Bongonaut

Post by J and J » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Ah, that was what i was trying to find,I did find this link some time ago, and then managed to forget where it was, thanks :P :D
Jane and John (J & J)

Return to “Techie Stuff”