LPG Service

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bogmonster40
Bongolier

LPG Service

Post by Bogmonster40 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:31 am

Had my 10,000 mile service today and they gave the LPG system a green light with no faults despite the issues I have been having :evil:
Anyway the fitter took it out for a test drive and saw for himself what the problem was that I have been telling them about for the last 10 months [-X apparently nearly writing my bongo off whilst out on a test drive..... So he gave everything the once over looking at what may be causing the problem and he has told me i need a new set of spark plugs as mine had seen better days and i also need a new set of HT leads.
Do I need a mechanic to put new spark plugs and HT leads in for me - bearing in mind the most technical thing I ever do is check the oil and water on a weekly basis :oops: :oops:

After typing that last bit I am sure I have already asked this question before - apologies if I have my head has been all over the place lately !!
V6 2.5i Tintop Aero Petrol/LPG
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: LPG Service

Post by haydn callow » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:21 pm

Very easy job...you will need a long reach plug spanner and do the leads one at a time so you don't mix them up.......Personall ..before I started on a set of very expensive plug leads I would do the plugs and see if that fix's it.....then go to rota arm and dizzy cap.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:23 pm

Don't think I've read about your problems elsewhere but are you getting rough idling, misfiring, low power on either or both LPG or petrol? If so, might be worth reading this http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=53002

...and this http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=53033

Update to Members' LPG Fact Sheet shortly.
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:16 pm

haydn callow wrote:Very easy job...you will need a long reach plug spanner and do the leads one at a time so you don't mix them up.......Personall ..before I started on a set of very expensive plug leads I would do the plugs and see if that fix's it.....then go to rota arm and dizzy cap.
Rota arm - Dizzy cap #-o thats way over my head sorry Haydn, I would not know what either one of those did even if I googled it !!!!
I am just a simple peasent sort is I :lol: :lol:
Ron - my issues have been loss of power when pulling out of a junction or roundabout when cold - only on gas, never happens on petrol. It's been 2 days since I have had my bongo back after service and this has not happened once since they have changed the filters. Other than that issue it has been running absolutely fine.....
V6 2.5i Tintop Aero Petrol/LPG
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:36 pm

I live in a 'dip' and the only way out is up ..!!

My Toyota always changed over to gas far to quickly ... on a really cold day, joining the early morning traffic on the main road was a problem .. the LPG system does not have a cold start 'choke', so was initially a bit 'sluggish' ...I used to manually change over to petrol until I was into the traffic flow and the engine had warmed slightly .. then manually change back onto LPG then the bus ran 100% ..

I mentioned this when I had the LPG serviced ... he slightly altered the petrol to gas change over parameters, and it as been fine since ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Techie Stuff”