Front fogs not working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Front fogs not working

Post by bongo frenzee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:03 pm

I noticed today that my front fog lamps are both not working (I have a new shape 1999 TD). Changed the fuse but that didn't help so I'm wondering if the bulbs have both blown - does anyone have any tips on changing the bulbs? The factsheet only covers headlamps, side lamps and rear cluster.

Any other things I should check if the bulbs are ok? (Please be as non-technical as possible as I am very new to motor maintenance of any description!)

Thanks.
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: Front fogs not working

Post by dave_aber » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:42 pm

It could be the relay. E2-02 on this drawing.

It's the furthest forward one on the passenger's side - here

Easiest way to check it out is to swap the wiring from it over to the relay behind it, and vice-versa. See if that fixes it.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks, but I think that's a bit advanced for me! :shock: Will try the bulbs if I can work out how to change them...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:54 pm

It's most unlikely that the 2 bulbs have gone at the same time. (One may have been blown for a while though?). However, it's probably easier to swap the 2 relay cables over than getting into the bulbs.

Do you have a leisure battery, or a twin battery ? If so, then it isn't as easy as the second battery is in the way.

If you have only got one battery, then open the bonnet, look to the right and along the inner wing you should see 4 relays which have black rubber hoods on them.

Find the front-most one of these 4, and lift up the rubber hood, and you will see a wiring connector plugged in the bottom of the relay. Squeeze the release clip, and pull the connector down and it will disconnect. Do the same for the one next to it, and plug your 'front' wire into the second relay. Your fogs are now using another relay as a test. If they now work, then you need to replace the relay.

(Can't find out quickly what the second one does. The 2 behind these are sidelights and headlights)

This is all assuming that you have standard factory-fit front foglights.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks, that sounds a bit easier to follow!

I do have a leisure battery (and factory-fitted fogs) so I'll see if I can work it out. If not I'll see if my brother-in-law can sort it out at Xmas, as he knows Bongos.

Cheers

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Also have a look in the front wheel arches. There should be a wire going to the back of the fog lamp. Check that it hasn't been disconnected.

Return to “Techie Stuff”