a novice fitting glowplugs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

campergeek
Bongonaut

a novice fitting glowplugs

Post by campergeek » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm planning on replacing my glowplugs this weekend. Have read the fact sheet and various posts (magnet on stick purchased :wink: ) and it sounds like something I can handle. Couple of questions though...

I assume I should put a bit of copperslip on the threads to stop them seizing?

The box for the plugs says tighten to 15 to 20nm. Do i need a torque wrench? I've no idea if this is tight, so will finger-tight plus a quarter turn will be ok?

Cheers.
kawasaki kid
Tribal Elder

Re: a novice fitting glowplugs

Post by kawasaki kid » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi, A smear of copaslip on the threads is a good idea and as you said screw the plugs in till finger tight and then nip them up - don`t overtighten them as it is an alloy head. I had one snap off - a dodgy plug not over tightened :shock: - cost me a replacement head. :(
If I had all the money I ever spent on my Freda ............ I`d spend it on my Freda.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:39 pm

campergeek wrote:I'm planning on replacing my glowplugs this weekend. Have read the fact sheet and various posts (magnet on stick purchased :wink: ) and it sounds like something I can handle. Couple of questions though...

I assume I should put a bit of copperslip on the threads to stop them seizing?

The box for the plugs says tighten to 15 to 20nm. Do i need a torque wrench? I've no idea if this is tight, so will finger-tight plus a quarter turn will be ok?

Cheers.
If the torque setting is for a dry thread you have to reduce it if you use a lubricant as part of the resistance is friction. Angle tightening as you suggest is not affected by this so IMO much better.

Remember if you are ever replacing a used plug the tightening angle is much less because the gasket is already compressed. I am assuming the glow plugs have metal gaskets and not a bevelled face as I am only used to sparking plugs.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
campergeek
Bongonaut

Post by campergeek » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks guys, all done now. Was very straightforward until I realised the old ones were 102mm and new ones 83mm. Bent the rail a bit and got it to fit. Now need some cold weather to see if the lumpiness is cured or not.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:22 pm

I was under the impression that angle tightening was mainly for "stretch" bolts - not conventional threads where torque settings are used :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:03 pm

dandywarhol wrote:I was under the impression that angle tightening was mainly for "stretch" bolts - not conventional threads where torque settings are used :?
=D> =D>
dandy has a VERY valid point here I believe.
Torque setting 15~19Nm. (Source - Mazda manual).
Don't forget it is an aluminium head. Overtightening could result in stripped threads (not recommended). Best stick to Mazda spec IMHO.
Steve
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:20 pm

I've always been a bit bemused why 'torque to yield' (stretch) bolts in particular are 'angle tightened' ...

Surly there is no difference in torquing a bolt down to say (stage one) 100lbs foot ... then (say) 120 lbs foot .. then a final torque of (say) 140 lbs foot ...

Rather than the initial torque ... then the 'clumsy' use of an Angle gauge for the final 'torque' figure ... ??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:29 pm

I think you will find that when the bolt starts to stretch the Torque required may well REDUCE, by angle tightening you force the bolt to stretch by a given amount in length.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:51 pm

I generally use what ever method is recommended in the manual ...

I can remember some years back replacing the rear wheel bearings on a RWD Vauxhall Carlton you torqued first then angle tightened ... given the location of the retaining bolts it must be one of the most awkward jobs to do efficiently ..!!

I have a several angle gauges and torque wrenches ...for example ... the green and gold 1/4" drives in this pic; are pre-set for CVT transmission cases on mopeds / scooters ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
campergeek
Bongonaut

Post by campergeek » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:15 pm

blimey, i appear to have opened a can of worms :o Hope a light tightening was enough - pretty sure I haven't over tightened it anyway.
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:34 pm

g8dhe wrote:I think you will find that when the bolt starts to stretch the Torque required may well REDUCE, by angle tightening you force the bolt to stretch by a given amount in length.
The reason it's done by the angle tightening is as Geoff said, that is when the bolts actually START to stretch. The bolts are made of a very strong material (high tensile) which, for a given stretch produces are finitely known grip force. The actual bolt stretch is very small yet the grip force is identical in each bolt. VERY PRECISE.
The ONLY place I disagree with Geoff is the torque.. It certainly DOESN'T reduce in the final tightening. It goes WAY beyond the initial torque setting. Take my word for it Geoff. Been there - Done that. There is no way you can do the final 'stretch' using an ordinary torque wrench.
We had to use a 5 foot pipe to complete the final 2x90 degree setting, and then it took some force.
We followed the Mazda manual to the letter, even applying oil to the threads as specified (which makes a significant difference).

The head we replaced has now done in excess of 2000 miles and all seems well. (Head bolts were re-checked after 600 miles as recommended)

As far as overtightening of the glowplugs is concerned, you are far safer sticking to the Mazda recommendations (15~19Nm). Why? - Aluminium :!: Just my opinion though. :wink:
Steve
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:59 am

You are probably right their Steve, I was thinking of measuring tensile strength where you stretch material to its breaking point, once metal materials get beyond there elasticity limit then the force required to stretch it to breaking point actually reduces. I suspect however that for stretch bolts your not taking them beyond there elasticity limits ;-) normally ! So yes the torque will not reduce in that case ....... goes off to check........
Ah yes here we are, and I was right :-); http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stres ... _A36_2.svg I guess Stretch bolts are working in the region marked as "4" on the red graph line, but before you get to the "4" region you go through the Elastic limit point 2 at which point the stress does reduce, before rising again as the bolt stretches, once you go to far however you enter the "necking" region where the bolt would start to reduce in diameter - not an area you want to get into!!
The main article is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_strength and I note that it varies with material for instance Aluminium doesn't go through a reduced stress region like steel does.

Yes and some interesting write ups like http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... 79#m244836 with more detail etc.
Worth a google search http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stretch+bolts
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:30 pm

In one Geoff - good find =D> and exactly what I was trying to get at.
It's all about staying well within the elastic limits of the bolt material when producing the extreme forces needed to hold the head down.
That's why ordinary bolts are no good in this application. The material would leave the elastic state and enter the plastic very early on with those sorts of loadings.

Spent a year of my apprenticeship in a test lab for a large steel company doing these tests. Interesting stuff.
Steve
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Google is my friend and I did search for info on ANGLE tightening against simply torquing ..

I understand the principle of stretch bolts, and appreciate the relevant ease a gauge can be utilised on head / crank bolts etc:

But ... I am still bemused to why angles are used for some 'out of the way' bolts ...when moving a torque wrench by a pre determined about should achieve the same effect ..
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:26 pm

mikeWalsall wrote: But ... I am still bemused to why angles are used for some 'out of the way' bolts ...when moving a torque wrench by a pre determined about should achieve the same effect ..
Don't know how much of this you know, so I'll take it from 'entry' level.
The PITCH of a screw thread is the distance moved in ONE complete revolution of the bolt.
For example, if the pitch is ONE mm, then the bolt movement :
- in ONE complete revolution of the bolt is ONE mm.
- in HALF a revolution of the bolt is HALF a mm.
From material tests of the bolt material, the part of revolution applied, will give the resultant grip force.

In the case of Bongo cylinder head bolts, they are initially torqued to 29 Nm, at which point they will begin their 'stretch' cycle.
They are then turned through 90 degrees (which equates to 1/4 of a thread pitch), and then another 90 degrees, which will give a total of 1/2 a turn past the original 29Nm. In other words, the bolts will have stretched in length by ONE HALF the thread pitch length, at which point the head will be clamped to the block by a KNOWN force.

Having read through that I hope it makes sense, but if not, I will produce a graphic to explain.
Steve

Return to “Techie Stuff”