Brake light bulb

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

pamannec
Bongonaut

Brake light bulb

Post by pamannec » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:09 am

I know I should be able to do this but how do you get the glass lens bit off to change a brake light bulb? I undid the 2 scews but dont want to force it if I have to undo anything else, help please, I am probably the most untechnical person on the whole foram :oops: :oops: :oops: but I do love my bongo :D :D :D
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Brake light bulb

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:00 am

pamannec wrote:I know I should be able to do this but how do you get the glass lens bit off to change a brake light bulb? I undid the 2 scews but dont want to force it if I have to undo anything else, help please, I am probably the most untechnical person on the whole foram :oops: :oops: :oops: but I do love my bongo :D :D :D
Having removed the two screws, the unit slides towards the side. It should pop off - give it a tug. The light fittings themselves will probably then be twist to release or may be held in by spring clips. I don't remember.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:01 am

give it a tug....but not towards you to the side away from the van as he said

it clips onto lugs
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:32 am

pamannec wrote:I know I should be able to do this but how do you get the glass lens bit off to change a brake light bulb? I undid the 2 scews but dont want to force it if I have to undo anything else, help please, I am probably the most untechnical person on the whole foram :oops: :oops: :oops: but I do love my bongo :D :D :D

dont feel bad, i had to phone a friend the first time :oops: . a quick outward bump seems best, but be carefull the little tabs can break.
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Goodness gracious, I never that that Ady lol

Jo x
slow_n_low
Bongolier

Post by slow_n_low » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Ive just changed a brake bulb in my offside for the first time and i have to say its the easiest bulb in a back light i have ever changed, just give it a good tug carefully of course, once out its so easy in fact it was all easy :P i have started doing lots myself on the Bongo its the easiest car i have had to do the normal simple things on.
pamannec
Bongonaut

Post by pamannec » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks everyone, don't feel so stupid now, will give it a go tomorrow. I thought it should come off but didn't want to break it. I have learnt so much about maintaining my Bongo in the 18 months I have had it, it's more part of the family than a car!!!!lol. We have lots of fun in it with the Grandchildren, they all love it and can spot one before the adults.
slow_n_low
Bongolier

Post by slow_n_low » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Heres a question for you all, my bongo went straight through its first MOT, except the brake light on the spoiler at the top didnt work so they had to tape it up to pass and the petrol cap was a temp one so had to put a bongo one on which i have now took off, tried 3 now and all stop the car when solwing down at junctions even after cleaning and flushing.

Now my question is why wont the light work, i have checked the wires and they are ok ?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Which wires have you checked ? There are a couple of plugs en route back to the main wiring loom, the mostly likely suspect might be the one between the aerofoil and the back door have you checked that one ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
slow_n_low
Bongolier

Post by slow_n_low » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:16 am

They are the ones i checked yes the likely suspects :P
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:31 am

Undo the 4 bolts that hold the spoiler and lift it off. There should be a connector on the right hand side where the wiring goes into the tailgate. Not sure whether your brake light has ever worked since you bought the van, but it's very easy to fit a spoiler from eBay, but a lot more work to drill a large hole in the tailgate to feed the wiring through to make it actually work.
slow_n_low
Bongolier

Post by slow_n_low » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:24 pm

QUOTE - but it's very easy to fit a spoiler from eBay, but a lot more work to drill a large hole in the tailgate to feed the wiring through to make it actually work.

:?: :?:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 am

slow_n_low wrote:QUOTE - but it's very easy to fit a spoiler from eBay, but a lot more work to drill a large hole in the tailgate to feed the wiring through to make it actually work.

:?: :?:
The reason I asked whether it had ever worked was that it is possible a previous owner fitted the spoiler but did not go to the lengths of drilling the additional hole required to get the brake light connected.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:22 am

your stalling/stopping at junctions and the cap problem maybe means that the tank breather is blocked or restricted, or melted when welding your arches.

Return to “Techie Stuff”