Radiator Fan wont go off

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mr Man

Radiator Fan wont go off

Post by Mr Man » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Hello everyone! Just put in some glowplugs and brake pads recently since then the radiator fan comes on
as soon as soon as the battery starts and before engine ignition. i had to leave it like this and on my second trip
out the engine cut out 4 times on the way home, due to the battery. Any ideas what might be wrong here?

any help would be great [-o<
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Radiator Fan wont go off

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:22 pm

Mr Man wrote:Hello everyone! Just put in some glowplugs and brake pads recently since then the radiator fan comes on
as soon as soon as the battery starts and before engine ignition. i had to leave it like this and on my second trip
out the engine cut out 4 times on the way home, due to the battery. Any ideas what might be wrong here?

any help would be great [-o<
Do you know if it's one of the radiator fans or perhaps the scavenger fan just in front of the engine? I unplugged a sensor (I think it was a sensor) just under the intake manifold *behind* the bracket towards the left and the scavenger kicked in not long after. I then disconnected the battery. ;)

I don't know if you had to unplug anything like this to get the glow plugs replaced - worth checking all the wiring in and around where you were working.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
kawasaki kid
Tribal Elder

Post by kawasaki kid » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:37 pm

If it is the radiator fans coming on - the ones under the bonnet - there is a sensor on the head just above the glowplugs that when you remove the plug the radiator fans will cut in - is this disconnected or loose or the wiring damaged. Hope this helps. :)
If I had all the money I ever spent on my Freda ............ I`d spend it on my Freda.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm nearly sure it's the rad fans.
I dont remember unplugging sensors, but i do bet I damaged one alright, I'll check the wiring in and around the plugs when it stops raining, i think thats this friday. thanks for the useful replies :D
B*Witched Blingo
Supreme Being

Post by B*Witched Blingo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:53 pm

The fan switch plug/wires are easily broken as the plastic gets very brittle due to the heat generated in that area. It is not always obvious that it is broken. They work on resistance and therefore will be activated if the end of the switch is wobbly.
You Tube Films Click Here
"Get your wellies out. No likey floaty Bongo's"
A1tony

Post by A1tony » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 am

Try turning the air conditioning off when the fan is off. Does the fan stop ? Might help isolate the fault. I thought my fan was faulty but it was just the AC cutting in...

Tony
A1tony

Post by A1tony » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:59 pm

last should have read, does the fan stop when you turn off the AC. sorry...
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:32 pm

If it was the scav fan connector uncoupled? (still running with the ignition off.) The coil light would flash too with the engine running...

Been there & done that! :oops: :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:43 pm

thanks for the reply's! firstly i decided to unfuse the radiator fans while driving around, as i could feel the engine about to cut out due to a nearly flattened battery. Today I couldn't believe it stopped raining and I actually got to look at the
engine, looks like i didn't do too much damage, after poking around a bit i managed to feel a circular type temperature sensor i think, this was a little loose and so i pushed it back in all the way. Started her up and the fans stayed off :D Note! it's not the first six inches that matter it's the last 1/4 :lol:

Return to “Techie Stuff”