Gear Shift light and Clock gone out

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mr and mrs pips
Bongolier

Gear Shift light and Clock gone out

Post by mr and mrs pips » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi

Anyone know why these two items stop lighting up when the ignitions on. ?

They appear to be the only two not working inside and out.

bulb changed in gear shift to check.....

regards Mr P
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Gear Shift light and Clock gone out

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:47 pm

If all the other Illumination lights are working OK on the Dash etc. then I would suspect that when the Clock was installed that someone used the dreaded quick connectors and that has now broken and disconnected both Clock and Gear shift lights - follow the power wires back down from the clock and see where they connect into the system then check those connectors.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mr and mrs pips
Bongolier

Post by mr and mrs pips » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:08 pm

g8dhe wrote:If all the other Illumination lights are working OK on the Dash etc. then I would suspect that when the Clock was installed that someone used the dreaded quick connectors and that has now broken and disconnected both Clock and Gear shift lights - follow the power wires back down from the clock and see where they connect into the system then check those connectors.

Sorry for delay.
Looked behind clock there was 3 wires going into a block with three comming out. deeper behind the radio which I cant get out yet are two of those quick connectors.

Interestingly I have found this wire. in front of the light by the gear stick, (Sorry for poor Picture)

any thoughts. please
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Humm worrying, that isn't the connection to the lights however :-(
See below;
The lamp wires are Red/Black
The other two wires are the Hold switch they are Green/Red, does your Hold switch work ?
I guess the next question is who's been working on the vehicle electrics :-(
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mr and mrs pips
Bongolier

Post by mr and mrs pips » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:32 pm

The Hold Button Works..

And the Green and Red wires are on the other side of the gear shift ?

hmmm.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:17 pm

They come up that side but then cross over and up the other side, however these photo's were taken a while back and were more about installing the electroluminescent dashboard displays which included the gear shift strip, I wasn't really interested at the time in the Green/Red wires but just noticed them when I looked back thru the pictures to see what I had that might have helped.
See this thread http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 6&p=386041 the first couple of pictures show details from either side (click them for full size image), the Hold switch wire(s) have extra insulation around them to prevent wear where they pass up inside the gear stick to the switch itself.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mr and mrs pips
Bongolier

Post by mr and mrs pips » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi
Sorry for the delay Christmas got in the way.

In the blured picture below there is a Red and Green Wire (Front) That has come out of Something.

Behind it a white joining block in one end is the Green and Yellow wire in the foreground, in the back of the block is another green and red Wire.

I have have touched the loose wire to both the screws at both ends of the block and the Gear shift Lights and the Clock Lights work will work HOWEVER

Is there a correct way of wiring this, i would not like to drain someting else

any thoughts. please.

regards Mr P
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 pm

It's a really blurred picture..... :D

Are you saying you have a single segment of one of these..?

In one end you have connected a Green and Yellow wire, the other a green and red Wire.? Is the loose green and red Wire bared off with the internal wire strands showing..? (Sorry that picture is bad...) :D :D :mrgreen:
If so..? Sounds like you need to unscrew the side of the block with the green and red Wire connected twist the lose green and red Wire with it & reconnect..?

I'm not a big fan of these connectors for car electrics, but if i'm right that will get it all working....! :arrow:

ps; that loose wire sounds like it is live when the lights are on.... Fertheloveofwhatever don't let it touch anything like the engine cover... You will be looking to change a fuse too...! :lol:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
mr and mrs pips
Bongolier

Post by mr and mrs pips » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:06 am

HI

Thanks for the advice

This is the wire that has come adrift (R & G) by it is the Y & G at the back of the block with the other (R & G) in the other end of the block.

After much fiddling I got the Two R & G wires together and in the one end of the Block, at which point the Clock Light started to work, and the little light by the ash tray came on, but still not the gear shift light.

I then discovered that the bulb inside the gear shift caseing has come off and is rattling around inside the Caseing of the gear Shift which wont come open ( So if anyone has any tips....) anyway I replaced the bulb to the gear shift case leaving the rattler inside.

So far there has been no electrical fire on the drive. fingers crossed :shock:

Thanks for the help
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:10 pm

mr and mrs pips wrote: I then discovered that the bulb inside the gear shift caseing has come off and is rattling around inside the Caseing of the gear Shift which wont come open ( So if anyone has any tips....) anyway I replaced the bulb to the gear shift case leaving the rattler inside.

Easy, using Geoff's picture to show cuz his shift is grey..!

From memory gently prise the four clips/clasps (2 on each side shown in grey on this pic) & raise up the cover on the shift display..
You will see a sort of gully with the bulb in the centre that back-lights the drive selector...

It just snaps back down in place!
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...

Return to “Techie Stuff”