Rust

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stark
Bongonaut

Rust

Post by stark » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:40 pm

We don't appear to have a dedicated Rust thread. Could this be it?

anyway, Bertie appears to be developing a few very small rust spots ( sort of about 2-5mm) which are just starting to bubble through the paintwork. I am a complete noob regards this so:

What do I do now. Oh and *please* keep the responses serious.
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Re: Rust

Post by seventiesboy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Where abouts are the rust spots?

Are they the seemingly "typical" rear arch ones?

What is the underside like? Has Bertie been waxoyled and undersealed?

I have a few spots on the rear arches that are being done next week, seems to be a bit of a weak spot on Bongos.
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Im interested in this too - i've the bubbles on the arches and the odd one elsewhere on the body work.
Would like to tidy themup for winter but knowing me i'll make a pigs ear of it!
Advice in laymans terms would be greatfully accepted! :)
BongoMTBer

Post by BongoMTBer » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:16 pm

I do believe there is a top notch fact sheet on this in the members area.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:44 pm

If anyone would like to post pics i will do my best to give advice on bodywork/paintwork. I work as a trainer in vehicle estimating and painting so i should be able to give an insight into the correct way to rectify the problem, money allowing of course.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:48 am

stuc wrote:If anyone would like to post pics i will do my best to give advice on bodywork/paintwork. I work as a trainer in vehicle estimating and painting so i should be able to give an insight into the correct way to rectify the problem, money allowing of course.

Eyup Stuc :) ~some help would be appreciated on my Arch please.

Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:54 pm

I`d sell it Ray it looks beyond help mate :lol:
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:56 am

lazyb5 wrote:I`d sell it Ray it looks beyond help mate :lol:
Thank you mate~~it does look beyond repair don't it :( :lol:
Regards Ray & Christine

stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:54 pm

I would advise you do not drive this vehicle until it is fixed, it looks rather unsightly and will upset the airflow around the vehicle body, causing extra load on the engine, which will increase engine temperature and possible overheating. :shock: :shock:

:lol: Just kidding, it looks to me as if they have already been done at some point, so i would advise rubbing down, dig the filler out and refill and shape ready to prime and paint, without replacement rust will always come back through. Shouldnt be too expensive at a bodyshop. Check it has been sealed and waxoyled correctly, but i suspect the rust is between the seams.
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:43 am

stuc wrote:I would advise you do not drive this vehicle until it is fixed, it looks rather unsightly and will upset the airflow around the vehicle body, causing extra load on the engine, which will increase engine temperature and possible overheating. :shock: :shock:

:lol: Just kidding, it looks to me as if they have already been done at some point, so i would advise rubbing down, dig the filler out and refill and shape ready to prime and paint, without replacement rust will always come back through. Shouldnt be too expensive at a bodyshop. Check it has been sealed and waxoyled correctly, but i suspect the rust is between the seams.
Thanks for reply Stuc :) ~it was waxoiled when i bought as a fresh import~~i've also done it from back to front including wheel arches,but not between the seams (from inside) so will have a look from inside when time allows~~would it be better to leave it through winter,then sort it out Springtime???
PS glad you enjoyed your first meet this weekend.
Regards Ray & Christine

stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:41 am

Me personally, would let the winter do its worst and tidy it up ready for next season. Even from inside you would not be able to get between the seams without cutting away the arches. We can only do our best to keep the tinworm at bay.
fergusminto
Junior Bongonaut

Post by fergusminto » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Hope this thread ain't closed yet! Rust! Firstly my trusty Bongo has the usual wheel arch rust as described earlier in this thread. Tried to repair it but it just came through again so must be coming from in between the twin "skins". So I drilled a hole inside the wheel arch and pumped in some hot wax oil. Hope this will help sort out the inside rust before I repair again.

Whilst under the rear axel I noticed that where the sills meet the wheel arch, i.e. at the bottom front part of the arch, there is a hole. No rust this time but a proper hole as if it had lost a grommet. Same on the other side. Is this usual or is a grommet missing. Strange as both sides have this and both offer an ideal access for salty water to get into the sills area. Does anyone know?
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:17 pm

Not sure where you mean, pics would be good and we will come up with an answer. Hopefully.
fergusminto
Junior Bongonaut

Post by fergusminto » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks for that Stuc. I have attached a pic. This is the passenger side rear wheelhousing looking forwards - see the hole at the bottom of the inner wheelhousing? Should it be open or is a grommet missing? Same on other side. You can also see signs of wet - that is the waxoil I pumped in. BTW I mentioned in my previous post that I drilled holes in order to pump hot waxoil into the inner skins above the wheel. I forgot to mention that I also inserted 8mm grommets afterwards! You have no idea how difficult it is to find 8mm grommets - had to order the web.

http://www.tagureworld.com/BongoSillHole.JPG
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi, I am sure someone will correct me if wrong but, I dont think they should be there, mine didnt have them before i did the arches. That hole would go straight into the box section of the sill by the looks of it so i would put some grommets in if i was you. Would be good if anyone could check an original one.

Return to “Techie Stuff”