Engine oils (when towing)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Triple/R
Supreme Being

Engine oils (when towing)

Post by Triple/R » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Eyup everyone :) ~had a bit of a query a few weeks ago concerning engine oils especially when towing caravan etc;

Thinking when towing caravan (1 ton +) engine obviously get's hotter,so was thinking would it be of benefit having a different oil~~Pm'd Ady (Northern Bongolier) & he & Lazy B (i think it was) were doing some test's on this particular subject.

Ady reckon's from test's that 5w 40 oil was better for towing than your standard 5w or 10w 30.

Anyway i've just come back from a 260 mile round trip from "Forest of Dean" using the same route that i've used quite a few times this year (M1~M42~M50) with similar temperatures eg 20c~~before my oil change the temp in the Bongo went right round to the H (on slow incline's)~changed my engine oil (to 5w 40) & filter last week before we went on the same motorway's & temps (in Bongo) were quite a bit below what they've been all summer~so to me it's quite obvious that 5w 40 is better when towing.

So thanks Ady & Lazy b for good results testing the oil's.

This might be all in my mind but the Bongo seemed to pull better uphill as well.
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
gill+berniebann

Re: Engine oils (when towing)

Post by gill+berniebann » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:14 pm

that sounds interesting will look in to it cos i to towImage
must say it does get warm in cab

Return to “Techie Stuff”