My New Bongo (With a free Musky smell!! ??)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sub123

My New Bongo (With a free Musky smell!! ??)

Post by sub123 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:01 am

hey all,

received my new Bongo yesterday and here it is:

happy with it and now it just needs my stamp on it. However it did come with a musky kind of smell?? not sure if it's an ex-smokers vehicle or if it's something to do with the AC. it does need re-gassing. Or even if a good interior steam clean will do the job.

any ideas?

Lee
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Re: My New Bongo (With a free Musky smell!! ??)

Post by Bongopoet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:10 am

An interior clean would do no harm. And no harm in leaving it with the roof up on a sunny day. It has probably got that musky smell from sitting around with all windows sealed for a while with no air circulating. Believe me it won't be long until it is your smells in it!
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:19 am

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rti71.html

could be the a/c evaporatoras they call it has horrid gunk on it
sub123

Post by sub123 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 am

After more inspecting, the smell is coming from the air vents. specifically the back ones.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:17 pm

Soy sauce is another thing which seems to creep into all sorts of strange places courtesy of their original owners :shock:. You can get rid of the brown gunge, but the smell tends to linger on.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Welcome.

Had the same problem with mine. Kind of kept it at bay by (at intervals) removing the scoop for the heater blower (under the bonnet - v. quick to remove) and spraying Dettol disinfectant spray in there while both front and back blowers were on the highest setting. The permanent cure only happened though when I stripped the front blower assembly back (not that bad a job on a dry day with good lighting) and delicately picked off the front of the heater matrix (using a pointed bradawl in my case) all the rotted mildewed remains of what I think had once been a fabric mesh acting as a filter on the front face of the matrix. Smell has never come back, and front blower throughput has increased dramatically, albeit at the cost of a little more noise from no longer having an air baffle to reduce the howling sound of air going through the matrix (v. minor though, and only because of greatly increased airflow, which is itself invaluable for better demisting etc.). Possible you have mildew in the back heater matrix, but just dealing with the front one cured all my problems.......permanently 8)
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:51 pm

I recently cadged some universal coil cleaning spray from our AC contractor to do my condensor coil, the only drawback is that it has to be rinsed with water which could prove difficult but not impossible on the rear one. I am particularly keen to do the condensor one because if that is clogged it reduces airflow to the rad. Fragile as hell, the fins, though.

I will report back how it goes.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:54 pm

sub123 wrote:hey all,

received my new Bongo yesterday and here it is:

happy with it and now it just needs my stamp on it. However it did come with a musky kind of smell?? not sure if it's an ex-smokers vehicle or if it's something to do with the AC. it does need re-gassing. Or even if a good interior steam clean will do the job.

any ideas?

Lee
Nice clean example. What is the pale green thing top right above the windscreen?
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Soy sauce is another thing which seems to creep into all sorts of strange places courtesy of their original owners :shock:. You can get rid of the brown gunge, but the smell tends to linger on.
I found a Japanese coin in mine. I would have kept it but I don't have a yen for coin collecting.
buntytw26

Post by buntytw26 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Velocette wrote:
I found a Japanese coin in mine. I would have kept it but I don't have a yen for coin collecting.
=D> =D> =D> =D>
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:58 pm

We found chopsticks!
pamannec
Bongonaut

Post by pamannec » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:28 pm

I found a small children's bouncy ball and some pencils in the roof :roll: :roll: :roll:
sub123

Post by sub123 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Velocette wrote:
Nice clean example. What is the pale green thing top right above the windscreen?
No idea.. Thought it where the antenna used to be but then thought that didn't make sense!! No one else has one of them then? :roll:
sub123

Post by sub123 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:49 pm

wonkanoby wrote:http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rti71.html

could be the a/c evaporatoras they call it has horrid gunk on it
Going to print this and have a go at it tomorrow. Ta. :)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Won't do you much good if it's the rear outlets that smell though, as they have their own fan & matrixes, there is no air flow connection between the front & rear systems, this FAQ may help - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 43&t=28727
The rear system is accessed behind the side panel behind the drivers seat, but it's no easy task to get into the casing around the gubbins even once the panel's off, may be better trying some of the ac cleaner type spray on the rear one.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.

Return to “Techie Stuff”