cruise control

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MAD DOG MURRAY

cruise control

Post by MAD DOG MURRAY » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:40 pm

i'm thinking of fitting cruise control to my bongo,have been told its not to hard to fit,is this true and any hint and tip would be great.thanks
pippin

Post by pippin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:48 pm

Previous discussions on the forum came to the conclusion that it was not worth the effort/expense.
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:13 pm

Our Bongo drives so well, do not need cruise control, such a relaxing drive :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Image Pete
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:42 pm

I wouldnt buy another car that hasnt got cruise.

It improves economy, as you are not inadvertently slowing down and having to accelerate to maintain a speed (trust me. Set cruise to 75 and see all the cars overtake then slowly back off to 65, then back up to 80)

It saves breaking the speed limits, especially in town and through roadworks

It makes for a stress free journey.

Cruise plus Satnav makes big Dave a happy guy.

P.S. Erin doesnt like using the cruise control. Hence the 3 points on her licence.
pippin

Post by pippin » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:56 pm

So, Dave have you fitted croooooooooose control to your Bongo?
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:36 pm

Sooooooon as I have bought all the other sh...stuff I NEED for campering.

It Will be done
MAD DOG MURRAY

foot dies

Post by MAD DOG MURRAY » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:40 pm

as i spend alot of time over the pond, at times driving 1000miles in one day,mainly using toll roads.trying to keep to the same speed kills my right foot,so cruise could be worth it,yes or no.
but has anybody fitted it to there bongo??????
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:44 am

I'm part way thru fitting a unit from Waeco & have one issue to solve. The actuator needs to be connected to the vacuum system & I have yet to confirm exactly which pipe to cut! It looks like there is a pump which does the power steering & I beleive the same unit feeds the brake servo. Hopefully, I will find this info out at the Bash & will be able to complete the project.
Bumbly1

Post by Bumbly1 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:52 am

Simon Jones wrote:I'm part way thru fitting a unit from Waeco & have one issue to solve. The actuator needs to be connected to the vacuum system & I have yet to confirm exactly which pipe to cut! It looks like there is a pump which does the power steering & I beleive the same unit feeds the brake servo. Hopefully, I will find this info out at the Bash & will be able to complete the project.
Simon

Is there a chance you can put together a factsheet when you complete it?I am interested in fitting one too as are some others.

Tom
AliBongo

Post by AliBongo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:15 am

I fitted an Audiovox cruise control to our Bongo a couple of years ago and couldn't live without it! It was pretty easy to fit, I put the actuator under the passenger seat fixed to the chassis rail and I don't remember having to cut any pipes to hook into the vacuum. I am offshore Norway at the moment so I can't check what I did for the vaccum but I remember it being very easy. For the speed sensor I tried to use the vehicle speed wire which every vehicle is fitted with these days but it wouldn't hold a steady speed. Perhaps I got the wrong wire but I ended up fitting a magnet/sensor combination which also came with the kit. You glue a magnet to the propshaft and mount a sensor nearby, there was a convenient bolt on the gearbox. The control is very small, about 4 x 3 centimetres with four buttons and I mounted it on the dash to the right of the steering wheel where there was a small coin holder. I got the kit in the USA for about $90 and it comes with an amazing variety of fittings for just about every situation. I had it on my last 4 cylinder petrol car using the coil as the speed sensor and it worked great except I had to tell the unit it was fitted to a 6 cylinder vehicle to get it to hold speeds over 70mph! If you do a Google search on Audiovox cruise control you will get lots of hits and I can put together a help sheet if anyone wants one.

Stuart
AliBongo

Post by AliBongo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:24 am

Just checked eBay and they have Audiovox cruise controls for sale at $175. A lot more than I paid but well worth it in my opinion.

Stuart
pippin

Post by pippin » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:38 am

Simon, many moons ago on the forum there was some discussion on this topic and I remember there being some information on how to get some vacuum.
Dig around.
brianwfl

Post by brianwfl » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:12 am

Hi peeps,
ref cruise control, i have had one fitted by howard mays ltd (only done by howard mays as i am aircrew and didnt have the time prior to going to north norfolk on leave0. it s resonably simple to fit as a diy project. if you can fit a radio ect its a doddle. if you are wary of wiggle amps and things akin to that Steve Jones of howard mays can fit at your premises.

cost control module/operating stalk/wiring ect £295, for manual trnsmission £15 for clutch switch, fitting if required £120

I tow a caravan or my sons' go kart trailer find it very useful on long journeys. have not had it long enough to fully assess fuel economy but it does save fuel for the reasons previously stated. it is very useful for ensuring that we are not captured by mr plod with his magical lantern
brgds to all
brianwfl
Dago & Mrs D
Supreme Being

Post by Dago & Mrs D » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:01 pm

Dago bemoans everytime we do a long trip that what the Bongo needs is cruise control. The DIY bit is OK if you know what you are doing under a bonnet, but Dago doesn't (but he does have talents in other areas!). Does anyone know of a reliable fitter and the cost all up?

Mrs. Dago
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:43 pm

Tom, yes I intend to put together a fact sheet when I get it in & working.

Pippin, you are correct, I posted a question on the forum a while back regarding best place to get a vacuum take off, but it veared off-topic & I never got an answer. Perhaps someone with engine manual cd could have a look for me, please?

Return to “Techie Stuff”