V6 overheating

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongomike

Re: V6 overheating

Post by bongomike » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm actually going to do a coolant change on my v6 this weekend, how do I know when the stat is open?
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Bottom hose gets hot, same as the diesel I think.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
bongomike

Post by bongomike » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Ok cool, pretty scared about doing the coolant change. I did change the coolant on the Magna ok. They do say you should do one thing every day which scares you
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Just be methodical about it, take your time & have someone help you at least the first time, checking levels etc (although it's easy enough to do it on your own), you'll be fine, it's not as difficult as people think.
bongomike

Post by bongomike » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks is it just the case if emptying the coolant from the bottom of the rad is there any where else?
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:15 pm

I usually empty from one of the rear heater hoses & the lowest points on the large bore hoses in & out of the engine aswell, if you just drain from the rad, you'll leave a load of coolant around the rest of the system due to the way the hoses & pipes run. Have the rad cap, header cap & bleed hose bung out (only take the bleed bung out after removing header cap, it tends to spray all over when you forget :oops: .
Then flush through everwhere with a hose till it runs clear everywhere, making sure not to get starter/alternator etc wet. If you're fitting a new stat, I'd run it up with no stat in for few minutes just to circulate everything & hopefully dislodge any crud lurking around, don't get it too warm unless doing a chemical flush or you'll have to bleed it & then allow it to cool a bit before flushing with clean water again.
Then fit the new stat, put in the neat coolant & top up with water & commence bleeding.
That's for a diesel, not done a V6, but it seems to be essentially the same cooling system set up.
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:40 pm

missfixit70 wrote:Bottom hose gets hot, same as the diesel I think.
Yep takes just aslong aswell me thinks.. yours and haydns youtube vid is the muts and gave me the confidence to bleed mine and flush it

TOP BANANA

Dar
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
Cloughy
Bongonaut

Post by Cloughy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:29 am

haydn callow wrote:can you let me know the amp rating of the relay Wheelquick fitted to cause the i-alert to switch the fans....
The relay that's used to switch my rad fans from the iAlert is a:
Raylex Ellec 1A-12F

coil: 12VDC
cont. 40A 14VDC

this was fitted by the freelance auto electrician that does electrics for Wheelquick, they ring him when needed. PM me if you need his number.

HTH
Cloughy
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:26 am

Now we have head problems with the V6, are the 2lt engines showing similar symptoms too?
Could this be due to the mid engine configuration?
To infinity and beyond

Return to “Techie Stuff”