How to change the Thermostat

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

amizup

How to change the Thermostat

Post by amizup » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 am

Can someone offer some advise on changing the thermostat on a Bongo please. There are lots on bleeding the coolant, and saying that if the engine overheats - replace the thermostat, but I can't find any reference to how to do it.

I have got as far as removing the rubber turbo U pipe, and removed a couple of the pipes feeding into the thermostat housing. I have also removed the bolt that holds the Dipstick in place (should the dipstick holder be removed, if so how?). And I have removed the sump cover.
However, I still can't get the right angle to correctly access the 2 x 12mm bolts holding the thermostat casing. When I use a long extension socket, the front prop seems to prevent this.

Has anyone had experience of doing this job? Thanks in advance
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Re: How to change the Thermostat

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:18 am

ive allways managed it with a 3/8 drive

and two extension bars

that seems to allow enough offset...is that the right word
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:56 pm

the dipstick doesnt need to be removed completely just rock it out of the way.
some say that you take the front prop off too, but have never needed to.
the thing that can be a problem is replacing the lower half of the stat housing making sure the stat is in the little tab reciever (its like a mouses ear) :lol: . the stat housing needs to be tipped to get round a bolt but this means sometimes the stat moves. take care, best done with 2 sets of eyes. :shock: .
amizup

Post by amizup » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks for all the advice, I shall try again...maybe I gave up too soon last time.
tim & angie
Bongonaut

Post by tim & angie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:10 pm

I found it easier to remove the dipstick tube which gives a bit more room to get at the other thermostat bolt, once the dipstick tube bolt is removed just wiggle and pull, its got a little o'ring seal around its seat into the block as i remember which can stick. You will probably need a 3/8" drive socket with a few extensions as wonkanoby has previously posted (the 1/2" drive sockets are too large to get onto the thermostat bolt). - Bit of a pig of a job really but you shouldnt need to drop the front prop shaft.
Dannyboy

Post by Dannyboy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi,

I have removed the thermostat on numerous occasions. A 10mm spanner allows the dipstick tube to be moved to the side.
I have had no trouble removing the thermostat bolts from below using a 1/2" socket set and extensions.
I think it takes a 13mm socket and I have used either a universal joint or what might be called "woggle" extension bars which means the extensions can go in at an angle and do not have to go in "square" to the bolt. I have not needed to remove the diveshaft on my 4 wheel drive.

Hope it goes well.

Return to “Techie Stuff”