Re: Pela Pump purchase

Post by teenmal » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:29 am

chipvan wrote:anyone got a link to the code?? cant find it

VIP2
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Great got that on order!!!your a star....not paying 70 quid for an oil change again!
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:25 am

Pela or similar...are a great buy....most garages use an industrial strength versions these days.....the "mechanics" oops..... technicians/part changing jockeys.... don't like getting their hands too dirty.....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
bikerbob

Post by bikerbob » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:26 am

Understand why my Pela took so long to remove sump oil,after oil change I cleaned the pump with a 6 litre
mixture of muc-off bike cleaner & water in a bucket and then operated the pump, it emptied the bucket PDQ, the advantage of using water was that you can hear the water trickling into the container & when the trickle stopped re-pump the pela, I had to do this 5 times, there was no instructions in the box only instructions on the outside instructing to pump the pela only up to 20 times. Thanks to missfixit for educating me in the art of pela use & and the neccessity of frequent re-pumping =D> will now use it out again when changing gearbox/powersteering/atf fluids.

There are no strangers here - only friends we have yet to meet.
bikerbob

Post by bikerbob » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:38 am

Understand why pela oil change took so long, thanks to missfixit for educating me in the pela use and that it was necessary for frequent pela re-pumping =D> To prove this point I cleaned the pela with a 6 litre mixture of MUC-OFF bike cleaner & water, the advantge of using water is that you can hear the water trikling into the pela container & when it stopped re-pump, the bucket emptied PDQ but had to pump the pela 5 times now a happy bunny and will use the pela for other Bongo fluid changes :D :D :D

Ther are now strangers here, only friends we have yet to meet
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:51 pm

You could always go for doing the Autobox fluid to make sure you've got the right technique & it's doing what it should :wink: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=30096
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 am

missfixit70 wrote:Looks like a right bunch of suckers :wink: You can even use it to bleed the brakes 8)
Another Sucker here Kirsty 8) ~i've been dithering like most on here :oops: ~have just ordered one for £25 odd delivered,although i had access to one (borrowed) but at this price you might as well have your own :) ~~good find BikerBob =D> =D> =D>
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:57 pm

This thread was an excellent spot by Bikerbob, and it would appear that it's benefited a good few members.

Ian - Many other fora have a "P.S.A." section (Public Service Announcement) aimed primarily at members publicising bargains such as this. Techie Stuff was appropriate in this case due to the nature of the product, but that won't always be the case. Any chance of setting up a new section for bargains like these?

Happy to help administer it if needed.

Dave
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:34 pm

got mine today !! 2 days delivery for 25 quid!!..

how long does it take to suck out the oil on a hot engine? i added some flush today and done about 30 miles with it in.

cant wait to have a go!!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Doesn't take long, just don't shove it in too hard, push it in gently, you'll feel it just touch the bottom of the sump, pull it back a mm or 2 so it gets good suction, once it's pumped up & sucking, pump it again every few minutes to keep the vacuum going. Make sure it's sucking the last of it at the end, then I usually put @ half a litre of new oil in the filler, let it run down for a few minutes, then pump that out, helps flush any muck off the bottom. Just be careful not to drip any oil into the alternator, plastic bag over it is a good idea. Don't overfill, give it time to settle to get a level.
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:09 pm

great tips thanks,iam doing it now..easy peezy!!..i reoved the filler cap but not sure if thats needed or not?
bikerbob

Post by bikerbob » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Its good to know that so many Bongonauts have benefitted from the voucher code VIP2. I`m surprised that the seller has not realised that so many pela`s are being sold at the dicounted price & has not withdrawn the offer, just shows the profit margin if bought at normal price.
Would be interesting to know how many Bongo Fury members have bought one.

Message for missfixit, thanks for the link to ATF fluid change, would try it if had the benefit of ramps, but being a fat old git :!: I find it quite difficult to squeeze under the Bongo, can get in but need a spray of the old engine oil to help the my wife pull me out :lol: :evil:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Yeah but if you do the gearbox oil, you'll probably get some on you anyway, so you should be ok for exit lubrication :wink: Get some ramps, I'm always seeing them in the local paper classifieds, saves fannying about with jacks & axle stands 8)
bikerbob

Post by bikerbob » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks msfx, had a problem with ramps kindly loaned to me by Ian G when doing the radiator change, could not get the bongo up the ramps to the top, the ramps were slippin away so had to do the radiator change with the wheels on the sloping part of the ramp. I`m wondering if these ramps were too steep, are all ramps the same or are there some that are less steep or is there a knack to driving up the ramps :?: :?: , I must admit it was scary, thought the bongo was going to tip over, the brown adrenaline stains in my jeans have come out with the application of vanish in the wash. :evil: :evil:
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:31 am

didnt take long(2 cups of coffee) this morning from cold it seemed to be quieter!!!

Return to “Techie Stuff”