fuel gauge (again...)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

saracen

fuel gauge (again...)

Post by saracen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Our fuel gauge works, but only in a way... When the tank is full it only shows as 3/4 full, and when it looks to be nearly empty, it actually has close on a quarter left. I've analysed plenty of fill-ups and am pretty sure about this! I've read about the notoriously dodgy fuel gauge, whereby it just stops working - indeed our last Bongo suffered from this and we got used to filling up every 200 or so miles (it was 250 at first but then if you miss one by mistake you run out... enough said). Is the latest Bongo going the same way? If so can I fix it in the way described so well by others on the forum, e.g. here:
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=48363
Or is this some other problem? I'm tempted not to worry about it, but if it is going to deteriorate then I'd rather act now.
Cheers
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Re: fuel gauge (again...)

Post by westonwarrior » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:23 pm

try the earth fix
nothing to loose except half an hour
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Sounds like it's the same old problem. Simpler way is apparantly to earth the tank to the body, there should already be a predrilled hole on the tank seam on the forward end on the drivers side, clean back to bare metal, bolt a cable with a decent connector on it & run it a decent earth point on the body, should be a few nearby, again, ensure good contact, then splodge a bit of waxoil over both to protect them.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 pm

missfixit70 wrote:Sounds like it's the same old problem. Simpler way is apparantly to earth the tank to the body, there should already be a predrilled hole on the tank seam on the forward end on the drivers side, clean back to bare metal, bolt a cable with a decent connector on it & run it a decent earth point on the body, should be a few nearby, again, ensure good contact, then splodge a bit of waxoil over both to protect them.
Agree with Kirsty... But first remove the white connector.

Then short the two female spade terminal on it, then see iff the fuel gauge rises to full with the engine on after a few minutes... If it don't? Could be the gauge itself?
If the gauge rises to full after the short test? Earth black wire straight to chassis.... The tank itself don't earth & you cut out the "middle man."
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
saracen

Post by saracen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:05 pm

thanks all!
mr and mrs pips
Bongolier

Post by mr and mrs pips » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi

I left the bongo bash with half a tank of fuel. 20 minutes up the road the guage reads off the scale past the E of Empty. Thirty minutes later it is back to half full ?

Any Thoughts.

Now that I am Paranoid that something is wrong, Can someone remind me. currently the fuel guage is sitting on half full with the ignition off should it not go to empty when there is no power..
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:36 pm

no its dampened so stays put even with no power
mr and mrs pips
Bongolier

Post by mr and mrs pips » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 pm

westonwarrior wrote:no its dampened so stays put even with no power
OK so hopefully if it slowly drops over the next few days I have an intermitent fault.

Return to “Techie Stuff”