Small coolant loss, is this normal?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mister munkey
Supreme Being

Re: Small coolant loss, is this normal?

Post by mister munkey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:21 am

I ran for two years needing a cupful every week. Once Ady pointed me to the various Jubilee clips on the hoses that needed the occasional quarter turn, all has been well since.

:)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:07 am

bigdaddycain wrote:
mikexgough wrote:A small loss like that can occur over time, well known and documented in Japan that over a 5yr coolant cycle a header tank can fall to bottom with no physical loss...and that applies to all cars with sealed systems....... hot/cold cycles and evaporation is the cause of that loss.... I would suggest that it could be your problem but please check all your hoses and you radiator seams in the 1st instance....
Same here mike... mine needs about a "cupful" every six months or so... No apparent leaks.
Ste. a cupful in a 13 litre system over 6 months is probably nowt to worry about but I always say check yer hoses etc ......although with hoses especially the smaller bore ones for the heater, the pin holes can be hard to spot until the engine gets way hot.... easy to check at home if you suspect a leak....just warm up the engine on the road and then lift the covers when on the drive and idle till the engine gets hotter ...the leak will soon "spring" to life.. :lol: ......
One Caveat .....A Jap buddies has just posted me a coolant change set of piccies........ and warns against just topping up with straight water.....This Bongo system had been topped up this way [-X and the flushed coolant had rust in it.....but that was over a 5yr span..... he also recommends the freshest coolant you can get if getting pre-mixed(it's dated) .....moral of the story....Always use a coolant mix for top ups.......
If your stuck away from home.....and you need a premix to top up....get some Prestone, available in Tesco and Wilkinsons...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Cheers Mike... The "leak" has always been there, it's never worsened, nor gone away during my 7year+ ownership... Factory fittted rad/matrixi/pump/header tank/caps... all original old stuff bar a set of silicone hoses fitted around 4 years ago. I've always carried a tub of pre mixed carplan red coolant in the bongo, and have another bigger tub at home. :wink:

I now cast an eye over the coolant level every few weeks or so when i check the oil level etc... :wink: I very much doubt the leak will suddently "let go" after so many years of it not worsening. :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Well, I've definitely got a leak :( . Came back from a week away (Bongo on the drive all week) to find a small damp patch under the passenger side, just below where the pillar between the front and sliding doors is. The fluid is definitely coolant as I've collected some in a bowl. Had to top it up to stop the LCA squealing this morning, it was just down to the level of the probe again.

Could this be coming from the bleed hose? I don't know one bit of the engine from another, but I remember from the You Tube bleeding video the bleed hose being on that side.

Are there any local (NW Leicestershire) folk who would be able to take a look for me please? I'd like to be more sure about what the problem is (and if it's the only problem!) before I take it to a garage.

Thanks in anticipation!
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:00 pm

What type of coolant is in the system please bongo frenzee? If it's red coolant then play some UV light on the underside of the floorpan,and the hoses... The leak trace should light up a vivid bright pink 8)
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:17 pm

I've found it! :D My first ever look under the passenger seat :oops: The bleed hose was rubbing on a sharp bit of a clip that holds a wiring loom to the inside of the body and had made a hole. Watched the video to identify the hose and for now we've cut it down below the hole and re-sealed it with the bung/clip. Will order a new hose now...

Just one question, when I remove the old hose, how do we stop all the coolant pouring out of the hole where the hose was attached? (sorry for not being more technical). Will I just lose whatever is in the hose (and does that matter?) or will it all empty out unless I stick a finger in it or something? Will it need bleeding of air afterwards?
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:01 am

just kink the pipe with your third hand :wink: . then cut it and hold it upwards till it fills to the end, then fit the plug and clip.
if you have had the leak for a while it may be a good idea to bleed it if you are able.
downward dog
Bongolier

Post by downward dog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:29 am

Just picked up on this thread, mines a new import, bled and all that, and I found the importer had replaced the bleed tube and attached it with a jubilee clip......it was leaking, I told the importer and he said they always use jubilee clips on that hose. They had not bothered to dispose of the old 'proper' clip, and it was still on the feed, so I refitted that and the jubilee clip too, no leak. IMPORTERS PLEASE NOTE!!!!

Return to “Techie Stuff”