FED UP WITH MY VAN

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Welshcav

Re: FED UP WITH MY VAN

Post by Welshcav » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 pm

dunslair wrote:
Welshcav wrote:Thats where it has been for the last 7 weeks or so Bill is fed up with it as am I and his mechanics are stumped by the faults!
My apologies.... Bill did mention that he had been wracking his brains to find out what the problem could be with a van he was trying to fix when we saw him at the Scottish Bash. I did'nt put two and two together :wink: There is a garage in Duff St lane, Edinburgh who are fairly bongo savey as well. May be worth doing a quick search for their number.

All the best

David.

Bill really has been good trying allsorts and didnt want it to beat him, whilst keeping the cost down for me, finally think he has had to admit defeat. Think I'll be heading South, Wheelquick is on route to my parents and 321 Away is near my pals so either one is an option once I get it back.

Thanks anyway

Karl
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:05 pm

That sounds like a good plan. I am sure its worth sticking with it untill you get it sorted. Keep us posted, always good to hear a happy ending :wink: :wink:

All the best

David
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Welshcav wrote:
dunslair wrote:
Welshcav wrote:Thats where it has been for the last 7 weeks or so Bill is fed up with it as am I and his mechanics are stumped by the faults!
My apologies.... Bill did mention that he had been wracking his brains to find out what the problem could be with a van he was trying to fix when we saw him at the Scottish Bash. I did'nt put two and two together :wink: There is a garage in Duff St lane, Edinburgh who are fairly bongo savey as well. May be worth doing a quick search for their number.

All the best

David.

Bill really has been good trying allsorts and didnt want it to beat him, whilst keeping the cost down for me, finally think he has had to admit defeat. Think I'll be heading South, Wheelquick is on route to my parents and 321 Away is near my pals so either one is an option once I get it back.

Thanks anyway

Karl
Karl, i've been following your problem & i'm sorry you still haven't got to the bottom of you problem....
I will point out an observation i have... The glow plug light will flash when up to temperature if the scavenger fan sensor has been disconnected from the plug by the handbrake...! Though you will hear the scav fan running after the engine has been turned of!! :idea: Just a thought..

Discovered this when i forgot to plug mine back in after a little mod i was doing & give myself a scare... :oops: #-o

Good luck!
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Another idea... & i may be way of mark here too.. (I sincerely hope this is wrong.) [-o< [-o< Problem with the ECU box?? :idea:
Welshcav

Post by Welshcav » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:11 am

Once I get her back I will check all the suggestions on this thread before I decide where to go next, thanks for that will keep you posted.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:59 pm

321Away wrote:Sure they havent piped something up wrong, if your getting a 1228 thats wastegate failure to open, and your turbo wont be spooling so its impossible not to have power loss, check they havent been crafty and swapped the pipes on the little atmospheric referance unit (rail next to the turbo, 1 plug,2 small pipes going vertically onto it) in which case it slams the wastegate full against the closed stops, and the ecu will see a fault as the boost sensor wont see rising/falling boost vacuum

dandywarhol wrote:This has been brought up in the past and I can't remember who it was. Similar symptoms to yours - I guess you have a fly by wire fuel pump??

It could be a long search, but you'll find an ansewer in the search facility unless someone remembers the post.

Out of curiosity, why did you remove the wastegate gasket??

Have you ever seen a new shape wastgate? its nothing like i've seen before and i was with MOD for 12 years and a well known F1 team for a year, the wastegate works on a rotational motion, between it and the wall is a steel multi-layer gasket, when the gasket gets old due to heating/cooling, it seperates and once it warms up it puts pressure on the face of the wastgate which means the louvres cant pivot and requires extra pressure to open/close the wastegate, which maybe a factor in the vacuum valve burning itself out, which in turn also stops the EGR, causing the 0400 fault, i've got some pics will post them later

Julian
No I haven't J - is it a VNT type - variable blades which direct more or less exhaust gas to the turbine? Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2awh0O0Bc

Or this........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgVrpiFf ... re=related
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:05 am

yep variable vane type, which as you said does the opposite of a wastegate, rather than allow the gases to bypass the impeller they divert the gases onto it, explains the inverted action! The gasket applys pressureto the end which prevents a couple of blades from moving freely, and as they're all 'chained' it stops all movement, then the ecu 'turns off' the whole turbo vacuum circuit and the vehicle runs without its turbo. Which i whay i'm finding that David's car is an odd one, to be giving a fault code but without loss of power? unless they've piped up the control unit backwards which forces the vanes full open and holds them there

Julian
griffmeister

Post by griffmeister » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:47 pm

hello i have come across this before the light comes on after the engine warms up. no scaner unles it has eobd 2 on it which it wont have unles the scaner has come from japan with japanese eobd 2 comercial on it. anyway there will be carbon on the turbo turbines ok when cold but just a little heat is enough to slow turbo hence back presure which in turn will give eobd2 comercial a fault code good luck there is a compond which will clean turbo made for audi go on the vw website take care
stilldesperate
Tribal Elder

Post by stilldesperate » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:34 pm

Welshcav wrote: Garage say the fault codes are the same but there is no loss of power since the actuator was changed? Im not sure what to do next! The garage dont know either!!!
Mite be stating the obvious, but if it's running OK, have they tried resetting the fault codes?

SD
"The older I get, the faster I was"

Welshcav

Post by Welshcav » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:21 am

stilldesperate wrote:
Welshcav wrote: Garage say the fault codes are the same but there is no loss of power since the actuator was changed? Im not sure what to do next! The garage dont know either!!!
Mite be stating the obvious, but if it's running OK, have they tried resetting the fault codes?

SD
Garage say they have reset the codes I get it back Monday so a better update then

Karl
Welshcav

Post by Welshcav » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Got the van back tonight, light was flashing but no loss of power at all. In fact it is a flying machine seems to be plenty of power and very responsive. So dont know why the light is coming on maybe the ecu is at fault?
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Worth checking Fuse no1 (top left) by the drivers right knee, just in case? Is it still the same fault codes coming up?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:47 pm

In the dim past remember when I installed my leisure battery I didn't earth it properly and it didn't charge.
the drop in charge caused the glow plug light to flash as if the alternator was kaput.

so do you have a leisure battery and is it wired to fuse 1?

also a bad speedo chip has been known to cause it to flash
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:00 pm

& even the white key left in beep connector under the steering column cowl when disconnected can cause glow light flash..
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:16 am

321Away wrote:yep variable vane type, which as you said does the opposite of a wastegate, rather than allow the gases to bypass the impeller they divert the gases onto it, explains the inverted action! The gasket applys pressureto the end which prevents a couple of blades from moving freely, and as they're all 'chained' it stops all movement, then the ecu 'turns off' the whole turbo vacuum circuit and the vehicle runs without its turbo. Which i whay i'm finding that David's car is an odd one, to be giving a fault code but without loss of power? unless they've piped up the control unit backwards which forces the vanes full open and holds them there

Julian
Thanks - always learning - seems a really stupid design flaw unless it's carboning up. From memory, these VNTs rely on a mass air flow signal to operate them - any air leak in the system (turbo pipes/interccoler etc.) will cause the VNT to go to full boost.

Common problem on 2001 - 2004 Renault 2.0 diesels...the intercooler splits, the MAP senses not enough boost and tells the turbo to go full steam ahead! Turbo finally calls enough (30 miles on ours) and the injun starts to injest the engine oil and the engine revs til it explodes! Luckily I felt it "run away", saw blue smoke in the mirror and hauled the revs down on the brakes......................a lot of folks declutch and the fecker takes off!

Owners just get out the car quickly before the pistons and con rods escape to freedom out the engine block!..............Ah, happy days 8)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690

Return to “Techie Stuff”