coolant alarm.,bingo 2nd time

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jetskier
Tribal Elder

coolant alarm.,bingo 2nd time

Post by jetskier » Wed May 25, 2011 5:34 pm

just been out in the bongo since coming back from hill of oaks,when about 5 miles an the coolant alarm went off,then didnt then did,so thought i better pull over and check.hey presto,very low coolant,rescued again by this brill bit of kit.
right the question i have is:
it was bled last october by my old mates ady{northern bongolow} and wayne,{waycar} at silverdale,after it being out of coolant on the way up.i have had no probs with it since,checked it averytime,no probs.
i checked it before travelling to the lakes,no probs,didnt check it on leavin as it was ok 2 days before,and no probs travelling up.
the question is,i towed the caravan to the lakes,would this make a difference do peeps think.when we pulled up a steep hill,the only 1 on the way,just outside cartmel,it did start smelling of coolant,that smell,not burnin or anything,just that smell of coolant.
so the moral of the story,ALWAYS stop and check if alarm goes off,been saved twice by it,if ya dont have 1,GET 1.
" if you carnt bongo,then PARTY"
NMOAD
stilldesperate
Tribal Elder

Re: coolant alarm.,bingo 2nd time

Post by stilldesperate » Wed May 25, 2011 6:32 pm

I wonder if there's a leak that gets worse when the stat opens, Dave? If normal running doesnt loose coolant, but towing (esp up Lindale hill) does, then maybe either a leak when the pressure increases, or the pressure cap not holding the pressure?

Just a thort... :?
"The older I get, the faster I was"

rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed May 25, 2011 7:52 pm

stilldesperate wrote:I wonder if there's a leak that gets worse when the stat opens, Dave? If normal running doesnt loose coolant, but towing (esp up Lindale hill) does, then maybe either a leak when the pressure increases, or the pressure cap not holding the pressure?

Just a thort... :?
Very Good Thort Indeed.. :)
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Wed May 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Never had any problems when i towed mine Dave,even after numerous runs up the big hill at Rhaullt in wales

Seems like youve a pinhead leak somewhere though

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 25, 2011 11:46 pm

jetskier wrote:just been out in the bongo since coming back from hill of oaks,when about 5 miles an the coolant alarm went off,then didnt then did,so thought i better pull over and check.hey presto,very low coolant,rescued again by this brill bit of kit.
right the question i have is:
it was bled last october by my old mates ady{northern bongolow} and wayne,{waycar} at silverdale,after it being out of coolant on the way up.i have had no probs with it since,checked it averytime,no probs.
i checked it before travelling to the lakes,no probs,didnt check it on leavin as it was ok 2 days before,and no probs travelling up.
the question is,i towed the caravan to the lakes,would this make a difference do peeps think.when we pulled up a steep hill,the only 1 on the way,just outside cartmel,it did start smelling of coolant,that smell,not burnin or anything,just that smell of coolant.
so the moral of the story,ALWAYS stop and check if alarm goes off,been saved twice by it,if ya dont have 1,GET 1.
=D> =D> =D> to the LCA. Without it I could never relax and enjoy my Bongo driving. Top marks to Haydn for his initiative - good enterprise, rightly rewarded. 8)

PS - Blimey - just realised I've struggled back to 14000 posts after extensive pruning to remove old warty writing :lol:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Time to check for leaks? could be the rad isn't doing it's job properly (silted up), the stat isn't opening properly, or if it was slow going & getting hot under heavy load mebe the fans didn't kick in when required? All would lead to it running too hot & possibly popping the header pressure cap (should be 1.1bar) ? You haven't replaced the rad recently have you for one with a vent pipe under the pressure cap?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:50 am

Hmmn, maybe when you checked it before setting off you didnt screw it back on properly??, but I would check all the hoses for a leak anyhow and check the rad for leaks especially around the top of the rad where the plastic seal against the metal and wrap some bog paper around the header tank cap and the rad tank cap and drive it around and see if the bog paper gets moist/damp, if it does get a new cap.
jetskier
Tribal Elder

Post by jetskier » Thu May 26, 2011 5:54 pm

thanks for the posts peeps,kirtsy i havent got a new rad and ur right will get it checked for leaks,thanks,sd you could right aswell,and wayne,what do you take me for,not screwin thecap back,as if id do that again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ,yeah good idea wth the toilet roll will try that,just think its strange why it didnt go off coming home from he lakes,its a 2hr trip.
NMOAD
stilldesperate
Tribal Elder

Post by stilldesperate » Thu May 26, 2011 11:48 pm

jetskier wrote:...........just think its strange why it didnt go off coming home from he lakes,its a 2hr trip.
... Thats cos it's downhill on the way back, Dave :lol:

BTW, Hannahs phone is working fine, a week in the airing cupboard sorted it :D (Thanks Hatris for some good advice on drying phones after a "Hill of Oaks" swimming lesson ) :D

SD
"The older I get, the faster I was"

jetskier
Tribal Elder

Post by jetskier » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:31 pm

well an update,just taken bongo out for a spin,and checked level again,was down so topped up,checked were bongo was parked for any signs of leakage,and none.went to the hospital,20 miles,parked in a space with no marks on the ground so i could check when getting back,and half hour later on return,a huge puddle under bongo.checked level again,was down so topped up for return home.got home no bother,stopped and had a look under her,and its dripping from the back of the engine onto drip tray and onto floor.had a look under bonnet,no signs of leaks up there,so must be below top of engine,are ther pipes down there,need to get it up on a ramp really to see,but any advise greatfully received,thanks.
NMOAD
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:04 pm

dont run it till its found mate, it is leaking as the pressure/temp raises,and sucking in air when it cools. take the bottom tray off and see if you can see owt.
give me a shout if your need.
jetskier
Tribal Elder

Post by jetskier » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:14 pm

just been out checked level,level was ok.thought id run it to see were leak was,ran for 10 mins,no drips,water level ok,thought id rev it a little,pissin out underneath wen looked after revs,looks like from the big round thing at the back of the engine,sorry dont know what its called,looks like there is a gasket were they join an its leakin thro the nuts.?
NMOAD
borntobag

Post by borntobag » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:22 pm

???? possibly from the hose that goes over the starter motor ?????
jetskier
Tribal Elder

Post by jetskier » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:31 pm

cheers for that borntobeg,cant seen to get under far enough to see,but have rattled a hose and doesnt seem to leak,but poured out of the nuts.,on this round thing at the back of the engine.
NMOAD
jetskier
Tribal Elder

Post by jetskier » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:43 pm

at least ive managed to keep level topped up in header tank,alarm hasnt gone off so far, :D :D :D :D :D
NMOAD

Return to “Techie Stuff”