DEBATE: Can LB be charged using 240v charger working off SB

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: DEBATE: Can LB be charged using 240v charger working off

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 31, 2011 1:06 pm

Great info maxi_77 and thanks. It sounds then like there is no real way (from what you are saying) of getting a full charge into an LB using onboard systems alone and given the typical Bongo lifestyle. A pity, because taking the LB out on a regular basis is not really practical option for me. If only there were a way through (or should that be 'round') this impasse (solar panels perhaps?). :roll:
Shaun_E
Bongonaut

Post by Shaun_E » Tue May 31, 2011 2:00 pm

All voltage measurements were done the next day so at least 12 hours had elapsed. I am using a good quality digital multimeter so have no reason to disbelieve the measurements.
I don't know that the split charge is regulated so I will now measure the voltage drops at different points in the wiring as suggested - it could well be poor wiring.
I also now need to check the battery fluid levels (if I can - I didn't notice whether it was sealed or not!) and then see what happens when I charge it completely with the smart charger. If it doesn't hold it's charge then a new battery could solve most of the problems.
Thanks for all the ideas so far.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 31, 2011 2:02 pm

g8dhe wrote:
Shaun_E wrote:it was ~13.8V so my split charging circuit is voltage regulated and will never charge the LB fully.
Do you know that you have a regulated system ? There not that common, and its very easy to get a voltage drop between all the connections and fuses such that you won't see the full charging voltage. Another point is where exactly are you measuring the battery voltage and what sort of meter is it that your measuring it with ?

I would suggest that if its a reasonable meter, that you measure the voltage drop starting from the S/B +ve terminal down thru the first fuse and to the split charge relay/module, then again on the otherside of the relay and down to the second fuse next to the L/B. Its also a good idea to check that you have a good earth connection and that there is minimal voltage drop (less than 0.1 volts) when drawing a load (say 2-4 amps) between the -ve of each battery and the chassis of the vehicle.
Ah just realised your NOT talking about a regulated Split-charge setup but a regulated charger hanging off your EHU in addition to the Split Charger :?: from one of your previous posts ?
In this case you need to adjust your EHU charger for the correct voltage to charge the L/B when on a hook-up for the way you use your L/B, this may vary from only a Mtce. charge typically 1-2 Amps charging current to keep the battery topped up, to a full charge scenario where you need 14.4Volts to ensure that you get the full charge into the battery over 24-48 hours.

Using a 3-phase/stage charger is fine (provided its not one that you tell it the capacity of the battery) provided it can supply the required current for the first Stage of charging (typically 6-12 Amps), these will work even if you have extra loads on the battery whilst its charging (programmable ones that need to know the capacity won't work in this situation).
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
maxi_77
Bongolier

Post by maxi_77 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:56 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Great info maxi_77 and thanks. It sounds then like there is no real way (from what you are saying) of getting a full charge into an LB using onboard systems alone and given the typical Bongo lifestyle. A pity, because taking the LB out on a regular basis is not really practical option for me. If only there were a way through (or should that be 'round') this impasse (solar panels perhaps?). :roll:
The problem is that getting the last 10% in with any charger takes time. I did have a boat where the batteries were kept topped up by a low output wind generator which worked well. The solar charger will probably not do that badly though I wouldn't put that much faith in the little one you put on the dasboard, equally anything more than about 15 watts will need a regulator to deal with excess charging power. All in all I would suggest you do not need to go for a full top up of the LB all that often, shame the good old days when you could actually get your garage to charge your battery or even the local accumulator station are gone.
White diesel Bongo
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 31, 2011 4:08 pm

maxi_77 wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Great info maxi_77 and thanks. It sounds then like there is no real way (from what you are saying) of getting a full charge into an LB using onboard systems alone and given the typical Bongo lifestyle. A pity, because taking the LB out on a regular basis is not really practical option for me. If only there were a way through (or should that be 'round') this impasse (solar panels perhaps?). :roll:
The problem is that getting the last 10% in with any charger takes time. I did have a boat where the batteries were kept topped up by a low output wind generator which worked well. The solar charger will probably not do that badly though I wouldn't put that much faith in the little one you put on the dasboard, equally anything more than about 15 watts will need a regulator to deal with excess charging power. All in all I would suggest you do not need to go for a full top up of the LB all that often, shame the good old days when you could actually get your garage to charge your battery or even the local accumulator station are gone.
Indeed.

I'm thinking of a decent sized solar panel (say 60 watts, and with a regulator). As well as keeping the LB nicely topped up if the vehicle is not being driven much, it can make a useful contribution to lengthening power availability by assiting the LB when it is in use.

The solar panel cost would have to be borne of course, but what price time and convenience and freedom from a bad back.
Yamaha
Bongolier

Post by Yamaha » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:52 pm

I thought about 60w solar panels too, Mike, and when Maplins had them on offer recently. I splashed out for them. I had visions of fitting them on the AFT - but they weigh a ton!!

4 off, 15w each panel - and including the controller, I believe I paid about £180 by using the discount vouchers - but there's no way you could ever open the AFT with that lot on top - so, in keeping with a lot of my hairbrained schemes, they are still brand new, and in their (huge) box out in the conservatory - awaiting plan B !!!

Mike
Curator of the Bridgwater Motorbike Collection

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Yamaha wrote:I thought about 60w solar panels too, Mike, and when Maplins had them on offer recently. I splashed out for them. I had visions of fitting them on the AFT - but they weigh a ton!!

4 off, 15w each panel - and including the controller, I believe I paid about £180 by using the discount vouchers - but there's no way you could ever open the AFT with that lot on top - so, in keeping with a lot of my hairbrained schemes, they are still brand new, and in their (huge) box out in the conservatory - awaiting plan B !!!

Mike
Good heads-up there Yamaha, and I hadn't realised they were that heavy. My only thoughts are:

* Were these ones on offer as being older, more heavier spec than latest offerings
* Do we need 60w anyway if all we're trying to do is keep the LB fully charged during rest periods
* By mounting the panel right at the back of the roof, the strain should be minimised to the point (with luck) of being insignificant

So if you feel you can't use all the ones you have boxed up in the conservatory, and depending on weight etc., I know a man who might....... :roll: :lol: 8)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Subject: DEBATE: Can LB be charged using 240v charger working off SB
Yamaha wrote:I thought about 60w solar panels too, Mike, and when Maplins had them on offer recently. I splashed out for them. I had visions of fitting them on the AFT - but they weigh a ton!!

Mike
Mike (Yamaha)

I meant to say that before you posted, I'd put this ebay item on my watchlist:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

It doesn't sound too big, heavy or expensive, so what's the catch I'm wondering. I'd be interested if anyone has any thoughts 8)
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:29 pm

If I remember correctly BF member Corrur has solar panel(s) on his AFT..... not seen him on lately though...he does a fair bit of Wild camping in Scotland and the panels give him a top up charge
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Jaws
Bongolier

Post by Jaws » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:51 am

Solar is definitely the way to go IMHO although it is still rather pricey.

To fully charge the LB you need (1) a voltage higher than that usually produced by the alternator and (2) a means of regulating this to suit the battery being charged and the state of charge.

Get a solar panel and suitable control unit and voila I fitted a 70w semi flexible panel (output about 20v) at the rear of the AFT linked via a controller to the Zig CF9. This keeps everything nicely charged including the SB via a two way VSR. Several days camping with the fridge running is no problem but park up facing North for best results :lol:

Solar panel controllers are designed to charge batteries as standard. And the energy is free. Of course if you keep the vehicle in a garage when not in use it's less effective...
Live Bongo and prosper.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 am

Jaws wrote:Of course if you keep the vehicle in a garage when not in use it's less effective...
That depends..................

My garage hasn't got a roof at the moment. :wink:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 am

Hi
Ah...with the accent on "Renewable Energy" as the new buzz-word in Bullshine, where every country is aiming towards lots of lovely cheap energy :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o , why not lead the way...Every home should have a Rutland Wind Charger attached to the home for trickling the car batteries...yes...they DO work, and are popular in the boating world....perhaps we could go one better, and attach one to the Bongo roof!.....then again, with the English weather system, and its' propensity for chucking it down with the wet stuff, you can also add an old bathtub to the garage roof....Two would be better!....when full, a waste drain would open, cascading the water down to a reservoir at ground level, where a mini-turbine would run a generator to charge a battery with a few micro-volts....whoopee, we're well on the way to a self-sufficient battery. ....and fully in line with Governmental bullshine.....and with all the excess wind power generated from the wind turbine, you could pump the water back up to the bathtub(s) on a non-rainy day 8) 8) 8)
What a wonderful world!
Cheers
Helen
P.S. I'm off crocodile hunting in Hyde Park, before returning to Bulgaria to view their recently discovered Loch Ness Monster, discovered to attract tourists, along with yesterdays discovery of the oldest civilisation in the world :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:25 am

Jaws wrote:Solar is definitely the way to go IMHO although it is still rather pricey.

To fully charge the LB you need (1) a voltage higher than that usually produced by the alternator and (2) a means of regulating this to suit the battery being charged and the state of charge.

Get a solar panel and suitable control unit and voila I fitted a 70w semi flexible panel (output about 20v) at the rear of the AFT linked via a controller to the Zig CF9. This keeps everything nicely charged including the SB via a two way VSR. Several days camping with the fridge running is no problem but park up facing North for best results :lol:

Solar panel controllers are designed to charge batteries as standard. And the energy is free. Of course if you keep the vehicle in a garage when not in use it's less effective...

Interesting post Jaws. What did your setup cost and do you have a link(s) to where to buy the stuff? I was particularly interested in you mentioning semi-flexible - is this a consideration if fitting to a car (Bongo) roof and if so, why?
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:55 am

scanner wrote:Easy answer then Mike - you either connect your charger via an inverter to the starter battery and leave your Bongo on the street with the engine running (and keys in the ignition) for 24 hours.

Or take the leisure battery off and and charge it indoors every 3 months or so.

Or how about giving it a good charge via a mains lead if staying on a campsite with a EHU?
I'm probably missing the point here, because I got lost a long time ago (so I am going back to Page 1 and adding my five pennorth), but if you go the route of wiring a CTek/Lidl type charger in, you don't need to wait until you to go to a campsite to hook up - just buy one of these http://www.campervanaccessories.co.uk/m ... p-114.html and do it at home (or if you live in a penthouse apartment, go and park on a friend's drive and use same).
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:59 am

Mike was looking at it from a point of view of someone who couldn't park their vehicle within plugging in range of their house :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.

Return to “Techie Stuff”