Tail gate lift

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stilldesperate
Tribal Elder

Re: Tail gate lift

Post by stilldesperate » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:40 am

I've used SGS, and they are quick to turn the work around, and a lot cheaper than new.

One thing I noticed, though, was that I could probably have just had one side uprated. With a stainless steel ladder, and two uprated struts, it flies up maybe a bit too quick.... :shock:

SD
"The older I get, the faster I was"

hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:57 pm

stilldesperate wrote:I've used SGS, and they are quick to turn the work around, and a lot cheaper than new.

One thing I noticed, though, was that I could probably have just had one side uprated. With a stainless steel ladder, and two uprated struts, it flies up maybe a bit too quick.... :shock:

SD
I agree how quick they are. When I phoned them back to say go ahead with the new ones, they did them and dispatched them that day for next day delivery.
Mind you, they didn't send my old ones back, so I phoned to query it today. They told me that they had to use part of my original ones to fabricate the new ones! :?
When I asked what would have happened if I had just asked for new ones and not sent my originals for re-gas, they told me they wouldn't have been able to make them!
Thought I might have been able to flog the old ones on - never mind!! #-o

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
charlieD
Bongonaut

Post by charlieD » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:58 am

hembramacho wrote:
stilldesperate wrote:I've used SGS, and they are quick to turn the work around, and a lot cheaper than new.

SD
I agree how quick they are. When I phoned them back to say go ahead with the new ones, they did them and dispatched them that day for next day delivery.
Mind you, they didn't send my old ones back, so I phoned to query it today. They told me that they had to use part of my original ones to fabricate the new ones! :?
When I asked what would have happened if I had just asked for new ones and not sent my originals for re-gas, they told me they wouldn't have been able to make them!
Thought I might have been able to flog the old ones on - never mind!! #-o

Cheers

Andrew
Thats interesting, I just ordered new ones and have just recievied an email from them asking for my old ones so they can swap the brackets at either end over to the new ones. mmmmmm
"I tried jogging once but the ice kept falling out of my glass" Dave Lee Roth
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:34 am

charlieD wrote:Thats interesting, I just ordered new ones and have just recievied an email from them asking for my old ones so they can swap the brackets at either end over to the new ones. mmmmmm
mmmmmmmm indeed!
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:12 am

Poohbear wrote:
daveblueozzie wrote:I noticed when you were parked next to me in Wales the other weekend that you were using a pole to hold the tailgate up, NOT SAFE.
Are you a member of the fun police or something?

He is!!! :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Before you go spending a fortune on regassing struts or buying new, don't forget this option - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... rear+strut
Having just modified & fitted an old Thule bike rack similar to the 973, I just made 4 strut locking devices from a length of steel c channel adjustable shelving rail as per Diplomats take on the idea, took a whole 20 minutes to measure, find & make, total cost - nowt :wink: works a treat 8) Was quite surprised that the tailgate did stay up on it's own just with the rack on, but thought I'd make these up for a bit of belt & braces anyway.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Quick update on this thread.
I've had to return my gas struts to SGS as over the last couple of months they seem to have gradually lost strength, resulting in the tail gate now now holding up.
They phoned today saying they have checked them over and can't find anything wrong with them :? but are going to send out a new set anyway! =D>
At last, someone who obviously cares about customer satisfaction and sticks to their 2 year warranty!

Cheers

Andrew
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:15 pm

New struts arrived today, fitted tonight, and they are spot on. Can't recommend SGS enough for their after sales service.

Cheers

Andrew
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Could be the cold weather. I have a rear ladder on my Bongo, the struts hold open the tailgate fine most of the time. But yearterday I had problems with opening the tailgate, it immediately dropped down the first two times then stayed open lower than it normally does. Seems to have done this every winter for the past 5 years, never been re-gassed.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:35 pm

We have a cycle rack on our rear door, no expense involved I just see it as my duty to stand under it when getting stuff out or turning on the gas. It may come down on me.... But it never has..

Jo
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:18 pm

MountainGoat wrote:Could be the cold weather. I have a rear ladder on my Bongo, the struts hold open the tailgate fine most of the time. But yearterday I had problems with opening the tailgate, it immediately dropped down the first two times then stayed open lower than it normally does. Seems to have done this every winter for the past 5 years, never been re-gassed.

Tony
TBH I did consider the colder weather contributing, but the amount of money I'd spent on them originally and them having a 2 year warranty, thought I might as well follow it up. The tail gate had gone from originally holding up fine, to last week doing a slow fall to the tailgate closing!

Cheers

Andrew

Return to “Techie Stuff”