Basic fan operation

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Basic fan operation

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:22 pm

This query seems to have come up a couple of times recently, so I did the following. I think it's right, but if there are any errors, please let me know.

Basic fan operation

The main radiator fans are controlled by the ECU.
The ECU receives a signal from an engine temperature sensor located on the driver side of the engine.
When this temperature reaches 96°C, the fans are switched on by the ECU at low speed.
When this temperature reaches 104°C, the fans are switched on by the ECU at high speed.
(see attached pic)

Steve
binky

Re: Basic fan operation

Post by binky » Wed May 11, 2011 2:25 pm

That is rather fine.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 11, 2011 3:50 pm

You can check that the Fans, the relays that operate them and fuses are OK by using the Air Con. I believe as well, as that turns the fans, on not sure what speed however.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed May 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Nice work Steve, just one thing.....I think the high temperature 108c according to the manual
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:05 pm

mikexgough wrote:Nice work Steve, just one thing.....I think the high temperature 108c according to the manual
Oooops :oops:
Back to the drawing board :lol:

Is this right Mike?

Steve
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu May 12, 2011 8:35 am

Hi Steve, with the reference to fan speed... Is there an actual change in speed due to a resistor pack like the heater fan, but ECU controlled. Or just a case of near side rad fan kicks in at 96 & off side joins in at 108... Both on with AC anyway?? Hope this question makes sense!?
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:07 am

jaylee wrote:Hi Steve, with the reference to fan speed... Is there an actual change in speed due to a resistor pack like the heater fan, but ECU controlled. Or just a case of near side rad fan kicks in at 96 & off side joins in at 108... Both on with AC anyway?? Hope this question makes sense!?
Hi Jamie
Geoff will probably confirm this (hopefully) but from the circuit diagrams it is my understanding that the fans work simultaneously - ie both on at low speed (96) and then both on at high speed (108). Diagram IS a little misleading I have to admit. The 2 fans at high speed ????? Couldn't get the software to speed up a single fan. May go back and try again
Not sure about the resistor pack :oops: but I'm sure Geoff can clear up this query. ................GEOFFFFFF
Steve
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 am

The fans have TWO sets of commutators and hence TWO sets of brushes, so a total of 4 connections rather than the normally expected 2 connections for a motor;

These are switched separately and hence there is more than 1 speed available, I say that because the lowest speed setting is controlled by relay B6-01, however there are two more relays B6-02 and B6-03 which are controlled separately, so its quite possible that there are more than 2 speeds available - I only have a V6 not a diesel which is different so not in a position to actually experiment to find out just how many speed settings there are, but at least two and possibly 3 and remotely possible is 4, it will depend just how the windings are connected inside the motor.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu May 12, 2011 10:28 am

Nice work with the illustrations Steve :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks ste. However, it's only good enough if it's correct, and from what Geoff is saying there appears to be a raft of possibile combinations. Only one way to get to the truth really, and that's to take one apart :twisted: . Any takers?

Another thing that has just occured to me is that the pic shows when the fans are switched ON. They do not switch OFF at these same temperatures. For example, the low speed switches ON at 96 but switches off at 92 (I think). So the pic is far from the whole FAN sequence. Just gets more and more complex. :roll:
Steve
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu May 12, 2011 10:59 am

widdowson2008 wrote: Only one way to get to the truth really, and that's to take one apart :twisted: . Any takers?
Sorry Steve... Did you say summat? :shock: :shock: :?
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:00 am

Perhaps Geoff or some other leccy wizzard can sort it out.
Steve
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu May 12, 2011 11:01 am

widdowson2008 wrote:Thanks ste. However, it's only good enough if it's correct, and from what Geoff is saying there appears to be a raft of possibile combinations. Only one way to get to the truth really, and that's to take one apart :twisted: . Any takers?

Another thing that has just occured to me is that the pic shows when the fans are switched ON. They do not switch OFF at these same temperatures. For example, the low speed switches ON at 96 but switches off at 92 (I think). So the pic is far from the whole FAN sequence. Just gets more and more complex. :roll:
:shock: Aye... You've taken something on there alright! :shock:
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:03 am

bigdaddycain wrote:
:shock: Aye... You've taken something on their alright! :shock:
Can be done.......IF I know the full story. Becomes a pain if I need to backtrack and alter stuff. I only understand the basics of this software.
Steve
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu May 12, 2011 11:17 am

g8dhe wrote:The fans have TWO sets of commutators and hence TWO sets of brushes, so a total of 4 connections rather than the normally expected 2 connections for a motor;

These are switched separately and hence there is more than 1 speed available, I say that because the lowest speed setting is controlled by relay B6-01, however there are two more relays B6-02 and B6-03 which are controlled separately, so its quite possible that there are more than 2 speeds available - I only have a V6 not a diesel which is different so not in a position to actually experiment to find out just how many speed settings there are, but at least two and possibly 3 and remotely possible is 4, it will depend just how the windings are connected inside the motor.
Looking at the diagram Geoff, relay B6-06 is set up for a single speed for the scavenger fan?? Or do i interpret that wrong...?
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...

Return to “Techie Stuff”