help please slow coolant leak!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

vincie1979

help please slow coolant leak!!

Post by vincie1979 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:09 pm

my bongo coolant level keeps getting low i may be wrong but it seems it will go from upper level to lower level in approx 2 weeks, can anyone help me please!!!! THANKYOU!!!!!!
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Re: help please slow coolant leak!!

Post by M 80NGO » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:48 pm

If there are no obvious tell tale drips on the floor, it could either be a small hole in the rad but due to rad heat its evaperating rather than showing as a leak, or it could be the start of a head gasket problem, mine was doing something similar last year and we had to leave it ticking over for about 30 mins with the whiffer test in the top of the expansion tank before it slowly turned the chemical from blue to yellowy green.

Keep us posted, Pete.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:50 pm

i would get it pressure tested, any good garage can do this for you at little cost.
you put 1 bar pressure into the system and just get underneath and look for leak/s.
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:01 pm

Its not unusual & not worth a panic yet as long as a constant check is kept on the level. Mine was weeping like that for the first two years and turned out to be caused by one or two jubilee clips that needed a tweak two or three times a year.

Jubilees are a bit of an Achilles Heel to the Bongo that shouldn't be there in the first place but most of us seem to have them, think about replacing any you may find with constant pressure clips.

In the meantime, have a rummage around the hoses with a flat head screwdriver in hand & give any J clips a quarter turn and think about a low coolant alarm if not already fitted for extra monitoring assistance. The last thing you want is the inevitable big bill if it drops too low before you notice.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 am

As a quick check, flip the passenger seat and trace the "bleed hose" along it's length... See if the hose has chafed on the alternator. Mine was just touching the alt and was begining to wear through... I replaced the hose,then sleeved it with a bit of old garden hose for a bit more protection. :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Usual suspects are Rear heater Hose from above starter motor...under Drivers seat and the Front heater pipe...under Passenger seat.... Often erupt when the engine is very hot.....spewing coolant over a hot engine, leaving no trace...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
bogsnork
Junior Bongonaut

Post by bogsnork » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:43 pm

sounds a bit like mine. It sort of sits just below the 'low' level. I had it like that for a few months before starting to read this forum and panicking. Wheelquick found and fixed a leak (forgot to ask where), but its dropped down again to just below 'low'. now I'm back to topping it up.

Can someone advise whether its ok as long as there is still some coolant in the header tank. And why would it drop to low but not any further? somethign to do with pressure?

sorry if I've hijacked this thread by the way - it seems relevant!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:30 pm

in my opinion you still have a problem im affraid. you should not loose any coolant.

pm sent.
sparkymik
Bongolier

Post by sparkymik » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Check round the water pump if that leaks it drops down to a hot surface you will not see water it will 'vap' off

Sparky
The Bongo has gone. Long live The Bongo

Hymer Camp Swing 544/Fiat Ducato 2.3jtd
vincie1979

Post by vincie1979 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:11 pm

thanks everyone for reply, ive checked fillercap and oil and it seems nice and black (not grey or creamy in anyway) and thinking about it it does drop below low level and then does not seem to go any lower (strange) ive also checked hoses under the bonnet and around the rad and everything seems dry as a bone, ill try and look under the passenger seat for any hose leaks cracks ect... is there any hoses to check under drivers side???? many thanks!!!
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:34 pm

The hose that runs from the block over the top of the starter...... can go either end....Mine went the block end.....very small pinhole that only erupted coolant when very hot......
This link shows you more about that hose etc
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Techie Stuff”