rear droplinks snapping

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

rear droplinks snapping

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:55 pm

this weekend ive had two reports of rear droplinks snapping.
the first went quietly, and gave really strange wallowy handling,this failed by snapping a radius out of the lower bolt loop.
the second failed in the same way,but this time was during enthusiastic driving :shock: ,with near serious consequences.
anyone else had this.

remember be carefull out there,
Kincaid
Bongolier

Re: rear droplinks snapping

Post by Kincaid » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm getting a knocking at the rear nearside of the van usually whilst at low speed going around a corner or doing the same on a camber. Does this sound like a droplink is snapped or is this more likely to be suspension?
Bongo Gymreig
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:22 pm

could be or the bracket hold the anti rool bar
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:this weekend ive had two reports of rear droplinks snapping.
the first went quietly, and gave really strange wallowy handling,this failed by snapping a radius out of the lower bolt loop.
the second failed in the same way,but this time was during enthusiastic driving :shock: ,with near serious consequences.
anyone else had this.

Hi Ady

Were they original fitments or pattern or mazda parts, sounds very worrying :? Wasn't there a spate of people fitting alternatives from cars?
Flint
Bongonaut

Post by Flint » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Interestingly, I just had the same last week, which resulted in a knocking at the rear!

Wellhouse have fitted a new one so all is now sorted! :D
The saying “Getting there is half the fun” was penned with a Bongo in mind!

[color=#408040]1996 2.5 D 4x4 AFT[/color]
sparkymik
Bongolier

Post by sparkymik » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Kincaid wrote:I'm getting a knocking at the rear nearside of the van usually whilst at low speed going around a corner or doing the same on a camber. Does this sound like a droplink is snapped or is this more likely to be suspension?
Sounds more like ARB's but I had the same at the front and it was drop links you have to get under and have a gander

Sparky
The Bongo has gone. Long live The Bongo

Hymer Camp Swing 544/Fiat Ducato 2.3jtd
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:17 am

wouldnt like to say whether gen or copy parts, as ive not seen many of these.
just wanted to alert peeps to be on their guard, and see how wide spread this was.
i must admit i am alarmed at these breaking,imagine a heavily laden bongo getting in a knot in a tight bend.no thanks :shock:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:27 am

Kincaid wrote:I'm getting a knocking at the rear nearside of the van usually whilst at low speed going around a corner or doing the same on a camber. Does this sound like a droplink is snapped or is this more likely to be suspension?
stick a jack under the diff,chock the front wheels,axle stands under each end of the axle tube.
then take a 2 foot bar and lever the antiroll bar up and down,with the weight off the suspension the knocking should be fairly obvious.
it may be the droplinks either top or bottom bolt/bush. or the antiroll bar brackets/bushes to the body.
the knocking will not show itself if the motor is on the ground.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:30 am

dobby wrote:
Northern Bongolow wrote:this weekend ive had two reports of rear droplinks snapping.
anyone else had this.

Hi Ady

Were they original fitments or pattern or mazda parts, sounds very worrying :? Wasn't there a spate of people fitting alternatives from cars?
From what happens in Japan with droplinks...... they tend to have shrunk rubber bushes or in the case of front ones the dustcovers perish.....it kind of suggests that the drop links here are either of the cheapo monkey metal variety or for another application.... I replaced mine in '09 when I did my rear ARB brackets/bushes as a matter of course with Mazda ones..... not as good a story for the front ones....the ones I got were the same O.E part number as factory but the quality was poor, however it seems to have been a poor batch as the replacements have been fine.
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Kincaid
Bongolier

Post by Kincaid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:30 am

Northern Bongolow wrote:
stick a jack under the diff,chock the front wheels,axle stands under each end of the axle tube.
then take a 2 foot bar and lever the antiroll bar up and down,with the weight off the suspension the knocking should be fairly obvious.
it may be the droplinks either top or bottom bolt/bush. or the antiroll bar brackets/bushes to the body.
the knocking will not show itself if the motor is on the ground.
NB - thanks for the advice, I've been trying to assess the ARB and drop link bushes with the vehicle on the ground (and finding nothing) :) It's in the garage later this week for other work so I'll ask them to get it up on the lift and have a good check of the suspension and drivetrain.
Bongo Gymreig
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:16 pm

I've driven with a broken ARB bracket and missing bush and although I got a clonk on turning I didn't notice any serious change in handling. I wonder if the droplinks snapped because the bush was knackered and the driver had been ignoring the warning clonking sounds. Eventually, I imagine the much hammered bush could give out with fatigue (no smutty replies to this ambiguous jargon please :wink: :lol: ) 8)
kev2477
Bongonaut

Post by kev2477 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:39 pm

noticed a knocking on the back end this weekend and on investigation it was pretty obvious it was the drop links.

regards kev...
a weekend wasted, is not a wasted weekend.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 pm

glad you spotted that one kev.this is the type of failure im on about.
any markings on it,who made it etc.
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:09 am

Looks like I should knock up some rose jointed race inspired drop links............ :wink:
These links have a massive force to control via the anti roll bar but aint a life or death problem on failure as other suspension parts can be.
Failure of the rear bar or links will soften single wheel movement and allow more roll of the Bongo contributing to 'wallow'. This is akin to a fail safe condition, the Bongo will under steer. Around town and during easy driving the only problem normally arising is Knocking or a slight vagueness felt through the steering wheel.
As Lance Corporal Jones said................. DON'T PANIC...........DON'T PANIC.............DON'T PANIC..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
To infinity and beyond
kev2477
Bongonaut

Post by kev2477 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:07 pm

no markings present on the drop links, have kept them for further analysis.

regards kev..
a weekend wasted, is not a wasted weekend.

Return to “Techie Stuff”