juddering aft

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stevedon
Bongonaut

juddering aft

Post by stevedon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:00 am

My aft has started to judder on the way up and is reluctant to lock in the up position on the passenger side ,any ideas as to what causes this
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Re: juddering aft

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:08 am

try cleaning the rails it slides on

and a light grease may be vaseline ?
stevedon
Bongonaut

Post by stevedon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:12 am

has any one got a diagram of the roof mech as i see there is nothing in the tech pages
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 am

wonkanoby wrote:try cleaning the rails it slides on

and a light grease may be vaseline ?
White lithium grease, as used on door locks, etc., is better than vaseline - doesn't collect dirt in the same way, but use sparingly. Clean rails and sliders with dilute washing up liquid on a rag, rinse off, dry, then grease very lightly with a wipe over cloth. Don't use spray-on lithium grease anywhere near the tent fabric.
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:06 pm

...and a very light wipover with suitable lubricant on the pneumatic lift assistor struts (needs repeating regularly I find). Can't remember what I've used on them (various things) but maybe someone could recommend what's best. Also, if its a bit tired (and don't forget these cold temps will make the rooftent fabric more resistant to being pulled out flat so that the beeper switches off) I recommend standing inside the Bongo and assisting the roof while you raise it, using the Mk.1 human arm/hand combination :lol:
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:33 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:...and a very light wipover with suitable lubricant on the pneumatic lift assistor struts (needs repeating regularly I find). Can't remember what I've used on them (various things) but maybe someone could recommend what's best. Also, if its a bit tired (and don't forget these cold temps will make the rooftent fabric more resistant to being pulled out flat so that the beeper switches off) I recommend standing inside the Bongo and assisting the roof while you raise it, using the Mk.1 human arm/hand combination :lol:
Oh yes, of course - I think it's the lift arms which make most of the noise isn't it? Forgot them but, anyway, the whole lot needs attention once or twice a year.

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:54 pm

Ron Miel wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:...and a very light wipover with suitable lubricant on the pneumatic lift assistor struts (needs repeating regularly I find). Can't remember what I've used on them (various things) but maybe someone could recommend what's best. Also, if its a bit tired (and don't forget these cold temps will make the rooftent fabric more resistant to being pulled out flat so that the beeper switches off) I recommend standing inside the Bongo and assisting the roof while you raise it, using the Mk.1 human arm/hand combination :lol:
Oh yes, of course - I think it's the lift arms which make most of the noise isn't it? Forgot them but, anyway, the whole lot needs attention once or twice a year.
Yes I think it's (a bit of) jerkiness in the assistor struts that set up a kind of side to side resonance in the flexible lifting roof, so the whole thing starts twisting and grunting (bit like me these days :lol: ). You can hear this kind of squeakiness in the tailgate struts on the Bongo (and other cars) when they've got a bit 'dry'. The annoying thing is that since by their nature they wipe themselves clean each time they are used, it's hard to avoid having to give them a wipeover with suitable lubricant at regular intervals (or else not fuss about the creaking and groaning noises).
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:25 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
Ron Miel wrote:
Yes I think it's (a bit of) jerkiness in the assistor struts that set up a kind of side to side resonance in the flexible lifting roof, so the whole thing starts twisting and grunting (bit like me these days :lol: ). You can hear this kind of squeakiness in the tailgate struts on the Bongo (and other cars) when they've got a bit 'dry'. The annoying thing is that since by their nature they wipe themselves clean each time they are used, it's hard to avoid having to give them a wipeover with suitable lubricant at regular intervals (or else not fuss about the creaking and groaning noises).
Just remembered why I forgot - to use my best Irish logic. You're right, AFT gas struts do self clean - in fact, of course, they're supposed to self lubricate as well, presumably with the same lubicant used on their internal pistons. Manufacturers, and "re-gassers" such as SGS, actually recommend against additional external lubrication of gas strut arms, as using the "wrong" lubricant can damage main seals and wreck the struts. Forgot that's why I forgot :lol: Better just put up with creaks and groans - although personally I use glucasomine 8)

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Ron Miel wrote:Just remembered why I forgot - to use my best Irish logic. You're right, AFT gas struts do self clean - in fact, of course, they're supposed to self lubricate as well, presumably with the same lubicant used on their internal pistons. Manufacturers, and "re-gassers" such as SGS, actually recommend against additional external lubrication of gas strut arms, as using the "wrong" lubricant can damage main seals and wreck the struts. Forgot that's why I forgot :lol: Better just put up with creaks and groans - although personally I use glucasomine 8)
Yes I agree its a bit 50/50 whether to lubricate them or not. It would be good to know what the right lubricant is, as the resonance problem must - I reckon - put a strain on the ageing lifting motor mounts / mechanism so it would be good to banish it.
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:00 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Ron Miel wrote:Just remembered why I forgot - to use my best Irish logic. You're right, AFT gas struts do self clean - in fact, of course, they're supposed to self lubricate as well, presumably with the same lubicant used on their internal pistons. Manufacturers, and "re-gassers" such as SGS, actually recommend against additional external lubrication of gas strut arms, as using the "wrong" lubricant can damage main seals and wreck the struts. Forgot that's why I forgot :lol: Better just put up with creaks and groans - although personally I use glucasomine 8)
Yes I agree its a bit 50/50 whether to lubricate them or not. It would be good to know what the right lubricant is, as the resonance problem must - I reckon - put a strain on the ageing lifting motor mounts / mechanism so it would be good to banish it.
I'll give SGS a call in the New Year, and ask them. Come to think of it, I've got a spare pair of tailgate struts I think I'll send them to uprate. Do you find yours are a bit weak, once the temperature drops in winter? Mine are now dropping about 30-40 degrees under the weight of the Terzo ladder but are fine at higher temperatures, so perhaps a winter/summer swap is the answer.

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Ron Miel wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
I'll give SGS a call in the New Year, and ask them. Come to think of it, I've got a spare pair of tailgate struts I think I'll send them to uprate. Do you find yours are a bit weak, once the temperature drops in winter? Mine are now dropping about 30-40 degrees under the weight of the Terzo ladder but are fine at higher temperatures, so perhaps a winter/summer swap is the answer.
My tailgate struts are fine with nothing mounted on the tailgate. With my bike rack on (which may be lighter than the Terzo ladder) it stays up.....just. Quite possible that it woudn't stay up in this weather. Its actually an important point with Bongos as most of us expect to be able to safely wander about under the raised tailgate without hitting our heads. I find mine invaluable as an umbrella when sitting 'outside' on the tailgate step, enjoyed a ciggie and a cuppa, or brewing up etc..
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:31 pm

I just use car polish on the struts, because I was wary of any grease damaging seals - seems to work 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:58 pm

francophile1947 wrote:I just use car polish on the struts, because I was wary of any grease damaging seals - seems to work 8)
good tip IMHO =D>
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Yes, sounds a good one, although if they're already a bit liable to descend when they shouldn't, then I guess that polish or lubrication's probably going to increase the tendency. My original struts were not up to the job, summer or winter, so I took a punt on a cheap replacement pair from a breaker, instead of spending more then on getting the originals re-gassed. The replacements have worked fine, except at low temperatures.

Anyway, re safety, having seen how variable they are, I use a support prop (a B & Q telescopic high reach paint roller handle) under the tailgate, when parked up on campsites - and hang a flag on that, to avoid then getting sued by somebody walking into it :shock:

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:28 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
francophile1947 wrote:I just use car polish on the struts, because I was wary of any grease damaging seals - seems to work 8)
good tip IMHO =D>
Apologies Ron - I was back to thinking about the juddering AFT

Return to “Techie Stuff”