Electric blinds sluggish in cold

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Electric blinds sluggish in cold

Post by bongo frenzee » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:46 pm

Has anyone else noticed their electric blinds seem reluctant to move in the cold weather? Mine take a few pushes of the switches to get them to operate, and I wondered if the motors were freezing up? They're fine when it's not so cold.
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
flossie
Tribal Elder

Re: Electric blinds sluggish in cold

Post by flossie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:51 pm

Ill go and have a play right now and report back in five mins ....
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Maybe the sliders down the sides could do with a little greasing/oiling, graphite might be better ?
Are they on the L/B that might be a little lower in voltage given the temperature as well.
Last edited by g8dhe on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:53 pm

All fine and dandy here - not driven it for 3 hrs and then only a 10 miles so not v warm in any case. I am in Berks - biting cold but no snow here now (dusting last night).
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:29 pm

don't use the electrics....just pull/push 'em by hand
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 pm

g8dhe wrote:Maybe the sliders down the sides could do with a little greasing/oiling, graphite might be better ?
Are they on the L/B that might be a little lower in voltage given the temperature as well.
I'll try greasing them but as I say they are fine when it's not as cold as at present which is why I thought the weather was to blame. They are run from the starter battery and the engine starts first time so it's not that.... Puzzling!

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 pm

have this problem with my o/s master switch. It can take repeated pressing to get blinds to operate, then they settle. I think the switch is probably a little tired (perhaps age and infrequent use have allowed oxide to get on the contacts?). Try a clean (maybe a squirt of lectrical contact cleaner or w.h.y.)? 8)
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Just checked ours out.. they're fine and ours has been sitting in the street since Sunday and it's -2 here today :)
I love cheese!
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:26 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:have this problem with my o/s master switch. It can take repeated pressing to get blinds to operate, then they settle. I think the switch is probably a little tired (perhaps age and infrequent use have allowed oxide to get on the contacts?). Try a clean (maybe a squirt of lectrical contact cleaner or w.h.y.)? 8)
That's what mine do, maybe the problem starting in the cold weather is a coincidence? Will get my brother in law to take a look when he services it. Thanks!

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:04 pm

bongo frenzee wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:have this problem with my o/s master switch. It can take repeated pressing to get blinds to operate, then they settle. I think the switch is probably a little tired (perhaps age and infrequent use have allowed oxide to get on the contacts?). Try a clean (maybe a squirt of lectrical contact cleaner or w.h.y.)? 8)
That's what mine do, maybe the problem starting in the cold weather is a coincidence? Will get my brother in law to take a look when he services it. Thanks!
Mine starts up in the the cold weather too - I think it must trigger the switch problem. I have a spare I keep meaning to fit, but in 4yrs its never actually totally packed up (just needs repeated attempts for a minute or two and then it comes alive usually)
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Just dirty contacts in the front switch.. If the contacts are dirty even at rest, it will affect the operation of the other two switches at the back on the relative side blind loom... Extreme cold could be hardening the dirt on the contacts, making it less reliable than in the summer... :idea: The contacts get quite fouled up with what looks like old ball computer mouse mung.

I've done a few of these switches (including my own) for people at meets & stuff... Always seems to be the same! :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:25 pm

jaylee wrote:Just dirty contacts in the front switch.. If the contacts are dirty even at rest, it will affect the operation of the other two switches at the back on the relative side blind loom... Extreme cold could be hardening the dirt on the contacts, making it less reliable than in the summer... :idea: The contacts get quite fouled up with what looks like old ball computer mouse mung.

I've done a few of these switches (including my own) for people at meets & stuff... Always seems to be the same! :wink:
Are they easy to take out, strip down and clean jaylee? [-o<
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:05 am

Yep, Unclip the back of the switch, remove the innards making sure you don't loose anything & clean the 6 points of contact with the two metal rockers... That's 4 poles & the 2 negatives they cradle in on the pivot of the rocker bend that look brass like & run through slots in the white board/holder thing... A bit of fine grade wet & dry'll do it!! All will become apparent... 10 min job in the warm if you bring the switches indoors!?? :wink:

There is grease on the top side of the two pivot contacts where the black plastic mechanical rocking action of the switch swings two arms with little springs in adjusts the position of the two contacts in tandem, this acts as a lube as the plastic pushed against the metal... NO lube should be & need not be on the underside where it connects to the board with the pins that run out the back!

I know these switches inside out having sorted 3 Bongo's worth with the same blind problems at the Southern softies meet earlier this year.. A similar assembly is used for the AFT & Sunroof on the tintop too! :mrgreen: :wink:
gmaczbongo
Bongolier

Post by gmaczbongo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:36 pm

I am sluggish when it is cold as well.
How can I fix the problem?

Return to “Techie Stuff”