Decal Removal

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongosurf

Decal Removal

Post by bongosurf » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:50 pm

I was just wondering what the best method would be to remove the Auto Freetop decals from the roof of the Bongo. Can they be removed easily, leaving no trace of glue etc...
pippin

Post by pippin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:54 pm

Do a surf of the forum bongosurf.

There has been encyclopaedic discussion on the topic.

Whatever method you use will require a strong wrist!
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:15 pm

Gary Appleby

Post by Gary Appleby » Fri May 05, 2006 6:35 pm

I got the boys at our local ARC to remove (from the wings) ours, they did it for £50 but said they will not do another one:)

There is still a trace of glue on the wings now, but the guy said that'll come off naturally.
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Sat May 06, 2006 6:52 am

Gary, the fact that the giys said they would not do another is a reflection of the time it takes. They just could not justify the actual labour costs I guess.

The glue will need some encouragement to dissapear. Look at the previous discussion and prepare for some elbow grease, little by little each weekend!
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
JULEE

Post by JULEE » Sat May 06, 2006 10:56 pm

Depending on what type of adhesive it is, acetone is generally good for adhesion removal - nail varnish remover to me or you. There is also an adhesive remover from 3M which you can purchase from RS. It got the tacky mirror adhesive off my beetles visor.

Julee
GreggandIssy

The answer!!

Post by GreggandIssy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:07 pm

I have posted this in another similar thread, but it's so good, I wouldn't want anyone to miss it...

B&Q Sticker, "chewing gum and sticky stuff remover". ?1.99 for a bottle with a trigger spray. It's safe on the paint and it's the best thing ever for removing the sticky residue which is left when the sticker comes off.

It even smells of orange!

Cheers

Gregg
caznsue

decals

Post by caznsue » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:21 pm

steam cleaner, nail polish remover, washing up scourer and then a wizz with t cut...............job done both sides in two hours

Return to “Techie Stuff”