Front Brake Pads.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

eckerB

Front Brake Pads.

Post by eckerB » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Hello all,I need to change the front brake pads on the bongo.First where can I get some,I am based between Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford.Secondly are they easy to change,how do I go about doing the job.Thanks.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Front Brake Pads.

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 pm

eckerB wrote:Hello all,I need to change the front brake pads on the bongo.First where can I get some,I am based between Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford.Secondly are they easy to change,how do I go about doing the job.Thanks.
Not hard, usually. Get them from Bongobits, or the Bongo Shop on here, or on ebay (though I wouldn't know which ones are the best). Take your time, clean everything up and buy some coppaslip grease and put a THIN smear on obvious moving parts. You will need also a means of pushing the brake pistons back in so you can get the new pads in (they will have moved out with wear on the old pads). I use a suitably sized g-clamp and a piece of wood to place against the piston face as you don't want to damage it by putting the metal g-clamp direct against it. It ought to be obvious what you need to do once you have the job prepped but come back on here if you get stuck. Try and fit anti rattle shims if supplied with new pads (you might want to ask when purchasing if they come with them) as they stop annoying clicking noise when first applying brakes after moving from fwd to reverse or vice versa. They tend to fall out and get lost as pads wear. And be sure not to lose the spring clips (I did in the rain and dark and had to make one up using 18swg piano wire from my model airplane supplies :lol: )Good luck 8)
eckerB

Post by eckerB » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:02 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
eckerB wrote:Hello all,I need to change the front brake pads on the bongo.First where can I get some,I am based between Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford.Secondly are they easy to change,how do I go about doing the job.Thanks.
Not hard, usually. Get them from Bongobits, or the Bongo Shop on here, or on ebay (though I wouldn't know which ones are the best). Take your time, clean everything up and buy some coppaslip grease and put a THIN smear on obvious moving parts. You will need also a means of pushing the brake pistons back in so you can get the new pads in (they will have moved out with wear on the old pads). I use a suitably sized g-clamp and a piece of wood to place against the piston face as you don't want to damage it by putting the metal g-clamp direct against it. It ought to be obvious what you need to do once you have the job prepped but come back on here if you get stuck. Try and fit anti rattle shims if supplied with new pads (you might want to ask when purchasing if they come with them) as they stop annoying clicking noise when first applying brakes after moving from fwd to reverse or vice versa. They tend to fall out and get lost as pads wear. And be sure not to lose the spring clips (I did in the rain and dark and had to make one up using 18swg piano wire from my model airplane supplies :lol: )Good luck 8)
Many thanks.
You've Been Bongod
Supreme Being

Post by You've Been Bongod » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:07 pm

you could give ian taylor a call on 07980616117
he has moved to longton stoke on trent he is very reasonable
if you contact him tell him carl sent you
I NOW HAVE AN ASTRA JUST THE BONGO TO FIND A NEW HOME THEN I AM OUT OF HERE
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:30 pm

It may not seem important but one thing that has bothered me when I'm wearing a set of "nice" alloys is that the cheaper pads tend to chuck out a phenominal amount of black dust that chews its way into the wheel paint.

Spend a bit more on brake pads & you save a lot of time & money on wheel cleaning.

8)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
liggy
Bongolier

Post by liggy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:56 pm

There is a fact sheet in the members area on changing brake pads.
Simplezzzzz
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:15 pm

liggy wrote:There is a fact sheet in the members area on changing brake pads.
Suspected as much. But I'm too lazy to look for it when with a can of spinach inside me (the contents, not the can :shock: ) I can type out a note at lightning speed. Irish am I or wot!?!?! :lol:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:56 am

mister munkey wrote:It may not seem important but one thing that has bothered me when I'm wearing a set of "nice" alloys is that the cheaper pads tend to chuck out a phenominal amount of black dust that chews its way into the wheel paint.

Spend a bit more on brake pads & you save a lot of time & money on wheel cleaning.

8)
i will second that one mate, ebc brand seem to be the ones to go for,low on dust and good on wear/grip.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:
mister munkey wrote:It may not seem important but one thing that has bothered me when I'm wearing a set of "nice" alloys is that the cheaper pads tend to chuck out a phenominal amount of black dust that chews its way into the wheel paint.

8)
i will second that one mate, ebc brand seem to be the ones to go for,low on dust and good on wear/grip.
3rd that. I don't know if its the pads or the superior (smug smug) alloy wheels I have, but the Bongo is the ONLY car I've had that never seems to coat its alloys with 'orrible black brake dust - hurrah :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”