Electric window wiring

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

liggy
Bongolier

Electric window wiring

Post by liggy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Can anyone advise me on how I could test my wiring for breaks for my electric windows. I've put a multimeter on the connector block and found the live feed. However I'm getting no reading on the other connectors. I've looked at the wiring diagrams but its all double dutch to me. Many thanks

Liggy
Simplezzzzz
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Electric window wiring

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:14 pm

dont do wiring diagrams but i have played with the switches a bit,
the way i see it,i could be wrong,is live feed comes in to control all functions,so unless your switch is fine you may not get all the functions,

live in,rear rocker/plunger switch gives issolation to passy window,so if that not working,no passy window supply.
if your careful you can pull the switch apart and service it,
remove the three switches from the top carefully,watch for a small spring and ball bearing underneath the plunger,clean the slider switches with switch cleaner and bobs your auntie.
pm me if your stuck.
liggy
Bongolier

Post by liggy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:21 pm

so if ive got a live feed then theres no problem with the wiring loom?
Simplezzzzz
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:27 pm

liggy wrote:so if ive got a live feed then theres no problem with the wiring loom?
no not quite,the switch enables the other circuits.so the switch could be duff,see your pm,or the feeds that become live,or the negatives that are now connected once the switch is opperated,could be broken in the door close area.
think there is more sense in the wiring diagrams than the last statement ive just made :lol:
liggy
Bongolier

Post by liggy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Have taken the switch apart and cleaned all the contacts with contact cleaner.(as recommended by Kirsty) In the past the drivers side would operate occasionally and no problems with the passenger side now I have nothing neither side works. Have found a cheap enough switch replacement but dont wont to buy it unless I know for sure its the switch and not the wiring.
Simplezzzzz
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Do you get a buzzing sound when the windows inoperative??
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
pongobongo
Bongonaut

Post by pongobongo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:26 pm

Could be a snapped cable going to window.

Mine snapped within the insulated bundle of wires in the hinge side of door. Open this, you'll most prob see the broken wire straight away.

Another way to check... open the door, wiggle the bundle!! whilst operating the switch.
liggy
Bongolier

Post by liggy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:04 am

Have looked at the wiring going into the door and can't see any visable breaks. I get no buzzing noise when I operate the window switch jaylee.
Simplezzzzz
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:46 am

liggy wrote:Have looked at the wiring going into the door and can't see any visable breaks. I get no buzzing noise when I operate the window switch jaylee.
The buzzing from the door switch can indicate a poor broken earth (black wire) in the door loom... where the cowl/grommet is going into the body is another place the wire tends to fray or break! :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Nabil
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Nabil » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:12 am

I have a buzzing noise, when I place the sliders in various positions on the driver side. But the driver side switch doesn’t operate the driver window. The passenger ones operates both, baffled.
Attachments
BC4116CB-0F94-4F31-BBC3-04E1A97E813C.jpeg

Return to “Techie Stuff”