silicone hose leaks, turbo clamp, & thermostat problems

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

waycar8
Supreme Being

Re: silicone hose leaks, turbo clamp, & thermostat problems

Post by waycar8 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:24 pm

sounds like after after about 12 months of constant presure they seem to be streching the clips, so maybe it might be wise after 12 months that they are all tightened, then checked regular as this seems to be happening alot from what ive gathered over the last couple of months.

It will be interesting to see if some different clips cures the problem for future silcon hose replacements
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Wed May 12, 2010 6:01 pm

waycar8 wrote:sounds like after after about 12 months of constant presure they seem to be streching the clips, so maybe it might be wise after 12 months that they are all tightened, then checked regular as this seems to be happening alot from what ive gathered over the last couple of months.

It will be interesting to see if some different clips cures the problem for future silcon hose replacements
It is more likely that the silicone rubber is 'extruding' - same idea as how you squeeze toothpaste out of a tube, the longer and hotter silicone is kept, the more likely is its to extrude, so the rubber is squeezed out from under the clip and this is reducing the clamping pressure, hence leading to leaks.

(So a question for the cooling system experts with silicone hoses, have you had any more slow leaks on the 'hot' or 'cold' side of the cooling system?)

This is where constant pressure clamps will have an advantage, as they will adjust to compensate.

There are new all plastic clamps on sale in the USA, basically they look like a band of plastic which is heat shrunk onto the hose, they are wider than normal clips, plus they are claimed to adjust for expansion/contraction. (Please note that they quote 40 F as a temperature below which cold leaks start, if only it was that hot here!)

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?broch ... ion_id=546
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Wed May 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Suppose to be fitting my silicone hoses tomorrow.......starting to worry about them now. 8-[
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Wed May 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Donald, just check the coolant level regularly and you will be fine, and think of the Champions League! :mrgreen:
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed May 12, 2010 10:55 pm

deffo the hot side,particularly the heater loop,both back and front heaters,also the top hose,
which makes sense as its the hottest ,after reading the above,never known a leak on the cold side,bottm hose etc.
anyone know what 40 deg f is in old money??
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Wed May 12, 2010 11:01 pm

The last two hoses of ours to start leaking are the big bottom radiator hose and a long thin hose on underside of bongo behind drivers door.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:06 pm

40 f is about 5 c.
Mine was leaking on bottom hose into stat & that was the clip that went, also had other weeps on heater returns etc. so I don't think it makes a massive difference. Could start a whole debate on why there isn't really a cold side as such, but it's not too relevant to this & I can't be bothered :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Wed May 12, 2010 11:17 pm

munroman wrote:Donald, just check the coolant level regularly and you will be fine, and think of the Champions League! :mrgreen:
I always check on my levels.......well every time I top up the screenwash I check. :lol:

low coolant alarm does it the rest of the time for me. :wink:
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 pm

i know what you say about the cold side kirsty,i was thinking colder side
thanks for the conversion into old money! thats a relatively high temp isnt it,no wonder the clips/hoses have been working hard to seal!
hows the lecy gadget doing?
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Thu May 13, 2010 12:12 am

Slightly off topic but a rough idea on converting temp.
example 70f deduct 30 =40 then half the figure that's left =20c
example 40f -30 =10 by half =5c.
(or vise versa)
Lost without my Bongo.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu May 13, 2010 12:18 am

thanks dave :shock: ill stick to spanners and stuff its easier to ask :lol: :lol:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu May 13, 2010 12:30 am

z
lizard
Supreme Being

Post by lizard » Thu May 13, 2010 12:35 am

munroman wrote:
waycar8 wrote:sounds like after after about 12 months of constant presure they seem to be streching the clips, so maybe it might be wise after 12 months that they are all tightened, then checked regular as this seems to be happening alot from what ive gathered over the last couple of months.

It is more likely that the silicone rubber is 'extruding' - same idea as how you squeeze toothpaste out of a tube, the longer and hotter silicone is kept, the more likely is its to extrude, so the rubber is squeezed out from under the clip and this is reducing the clamping pressure, hence leading to leaks.

(So a question for the cooling system experts with silicone hoses, have you had any more slow leaks on the 'hot' or 'cold' side of the cooling system?)

This is where constant pressure clamps will have an advantage, as they will adjust to compensate.

There are new all plastic clamps on sale in the USA, basically they look like a band of plastic which is heat shrunk onto the hose, they are wider than normal clips, plus they are claimed to adjust for expansion/contraction. (Please note that they quote 40 F as a temperature below which cold leaks start, if only it was that hot here!)

This is worrying as some of mine are starting to leak and are over a year and a half old now. The bottom rad hose and the top engine hose, have given them a tighten and seem ok at the moment.

Could these also be the answer http://www.norma.net.au/norma-constant- ... lamps.html
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

F Zappa
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu May 13, 2010 12:42 am

they could be the answer!!you could be the test pilot on these.
there are plenty of constant pressure clips available but most of them are expensive,2 clips per hose and all that.
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Thu May 13, 2010 8:21 am

lizard wrote:
munroman wrote:

This is worrying as some of mine are starting to leak and are over a year and a half old now. The bottom rad hose and the top engine hose, have given them a tighten and seem ok at the moment.

Could these also be the answer http://www.norma.net.au/norma-constant- ... lamps.html
Yes, they look good, and Norma are a good brand, and a good illustration on the webpage as to how much expansion/contraction there can be. :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”