Batteries

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Batteries

Post by Kentish Paul » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:01 pm

I have a Bongo converted by AVA. I know absolutely nothing about car electrics (or car anything!). The car has an electrical input under the rear bumper, a panel which I think is called a “zig” and a leisure battery which seems connected to the main battery by a hefty cable. Can someone tell me (or guess):

a) Does the alternator charge the Leisure battery at same time as main battery?
b) If leisure Battery has never been used (I will only star fitting/using appliances this summer), will it be damaged.
c) Presumably, the rear 12v socket which feeds the AVA fitted a kitchen unit including cool box is fed by the leisure battery. Is it likely that any other items such as electric blinds would be powered by the LB?

Many thanks

Paul
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
stilldesperate
Tribal Elder

Re: Batteries

Post by stilldesperate » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:14 pm

Kentish Paul wrote:
a) Does the alternator charge the Leisure battery at same time as main battery?
b) If leisure Battery has never been used (I will only star fitting/using appliances this summer), will it be damaged.
c) Presumably, the rear 12v socket which feeds the AVA fitted a kitchen unit including cool box is fed by the leisure battery. Is it likely that any other items such as electric blinds would be powered by the LB?

Many thanks

Paul
a) Should do - put a meter across battery with engine off - should be no more than 12.8v (ish) start engine - should rise to 13.8 (ish)

b) Shouldn't be - check that there's distilled water covering the plates if you can unscrew the toop caps

c) To find out, stop the engine, and disconnect one lead from the starter battery. Don't let it short out!. See what works - any that do are from the LB

SD
"The older I get, the faster I was"

dobby
Supreme Being

Re: Batteries

Post by dobby » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi there, we've got an AVA bongo with an LB they fitted. We bought ours in 2005. At that time they were relucant to isolate and feed fittings via the LB. I'd assume that yours wasn't. stilldesperate's test is the best way though :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”