Replacing the roof tent.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Rhod
Tribal Elder

Replacing the roof tent.

Post by Rhod » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:36 pm

Having replaced my damaged roof tent with a S/H one from Bellhill yesterday, I thought a few pointers might help anyone else who has to do the same. I forgot to get any photos of the process I'm afraid :oops:

1) For ease of carriage, Bellhill had removed the metal frames at the top/bottom of the tent. this does make it rather more difficult to fit so,if you have the option of collecting your replacement tent, it would be worth doing this & installing the complete unit.
2) The tent has a piping along the edge, which slides into a channel on the edge of the frame. The top frame is easy enough, but the bottom one is a lot more tricky - especially the front section, which has to slide around the "corner" of the tent perimeter. I found that the metal tends to take shavings of rubber off the seal. Copius applications of silicon lubricant help. The bottom frame is pop-riveted together at the corners, so you need to drill the rivets out & then re-rivet after assembly.
3) The "screws" holding the bottom frame to the van roof are plastic & easy enough to undo. Screw out, push back in.
4) As reported elsewhere, by others before me, the top screws are loctited in & can be VERY tight. The screwdriver needs to be a perfect fit (posidrive No3 - I think). I used molegrips on a couple to break the "seal".
5) Space is tight on the top corner screws. I rightangled screwdriver was very useful for replacing them.

The whole job took about 4 hours.
96' Green AFT 4WD / BMW R100GSPD
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Re: Replacing the roof tent.

Post by westonwarrior » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Good job done then

and any one else in need of doing it can do so with confidence that they are not the first
You've Been Bongod
Supreme Being

Post by You've Been Bongod » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:46 pm

should have come to me as i put on here not long ago i had spare roof tent in end let it go for bargain price of £40 not £230 like ebay prices
I NOW HAVE AN ASTRA JUST THE BONGO TO FIND A NEW HOME THEN I AM OUT OF HERE
Rhod
Tribal Elder

Post by Rhod » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:23 pm

You've Been Bongod wrote:should have come to me as i put on here not long ago i had spare roof tent in end let it go for bargain price of £40 not £230 like ebay prices
Unfortunately my need was rather urgent as we're away in the Cairngorms next weekend, so had to source tent & get it fitted last weekend. Getting anything shipped over to the outer reaches of the known world tends to take twice as long as the usual delivery estimates :evil: I knew that Bellhill had one & they're not that common on ebay, so really had to go with grabbing what was there at the time!
96' Green AFT 4WD / BMW R100GSPD
JamesnAl
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JamesnAl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:38 pm

Hello. Could someone tell me the size of those rivets? And will any hand riveter do the job? Such as a Halfords one? What size drill bit to remove the rivet?
Thanks!

Return to “Techie Stuff”