intercooler. need to go big.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Goodenough4U

intercooler. need to go big.

Post by Goodenough4U » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:28 pm

hello,

has anyone attempted to play with the intercooler.

two reasons really.

1. the intercooler is tiny

2. its got more pipe work than british gas.

iv noticed that the intercooler is held in by two steel pipes, but there is plenty of space to put quite a big intercooler a bit further back. if i lopped a bit off these steel pipes i could obtain a bigger intercooler and less lag. happy days i say...... hum maybe not. i dont really like to go messing around with things too much. if i lop these pipes down and things dont work out would i ever be able to get a replacement, and at what cost.

so i was more thinking of just getting a better intercooler to put in place of the original (aluminium)

and two things with this.

1. has anyone already done this and knows where i can go find one ready to go.

2. if not i think i could get some engineering on the go and come up with some. i know an ali welder and a buddy who is mad for car tuning. so putting the two together i might be able to get some made up. anyone intrrested?
HangTen

Re: intercooler. need to go big.

Post by HangTen » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Goodenough4U wrote:
so i was more thinking of just getting a better intercooler to put in place of the original (aluminium)
The immediate problem that I can see with this is that a larger intercooler would reduce airflow to the radiator, which would, unless you also uprated the rad, degrade the Bongo's critical cooling system .... personally, I don't see there being sufficient potential benefit to warrant the hassle, expense and risks.

Just my opinion, FWIW.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:26 pm

HangTen wrote:
Goodenough4U wrote:
The immediate problem that I can see with this is that a larger intercooler would reduce airflow to the radiator, which would, unless you also uprated the rad, degrade the Bongo's critical cooling system .... personally, I don't see there being sufficient potential benefit to warrant the hassle, expense and risks.

Just my opinion, FWIW.
Intercooler is behind & under the rad, it's intake is the plastic scoop under the rad, you're thinking of the condenser for the a/c that's in front of the rad :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
HangTen

Post by HangTen » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Oops - my mistake :oops: ....... shows how much I know :roll:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:41 pm

I found that my intercooler & pipework was fairly well gunged up internally, took a few soakings in petrol/diesel mix (fuel pump mix up leftovers :roll: ) to get it clean, so chances are, most peoples intercoolers aren't working too well in the first place.
Improving the size/performance has been discussed before, not sure if anyone actually ran with it?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:18 am

Hi
Here's a BIG intercooler...not sure where you'd put it, though!!!
http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/bd-di ... cooler.htm
Or...clean your Bongo one as Kirsty suggests....I think Tony is going to clean ours in the summer (don't tell him) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Goodenough4U

Post by Goodenough4U » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:20 pm

mine seems pretty clean, bit of oil in there but nothing solid
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Trouble is even that little bit of oil will be coating the metal surfaces, which is where the heat transfer takes place.
Mine didn't look too bad, but the airflow through didn't seem to be as good as I'd have expected, it was only once I started flushing it I realized how gunged it was, those are very small airways that are easily restricted.
Goodenough4U

Post by Goodenough4U » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:12 pm

iv got this engine de-greaser.

you rekon thats the stuff?
stilldesperate
Tribal Elder

Post by stilldesperate » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Why not just rig up a water spray over it? (a La Subaru).

....Divert the windscreen washer bottle to it!

SD
"The older I get, the faster I was"

missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:00 am

Goodenough4U wrote:iv got this engine de-greaser.

you rekon thats the stuff?
Possibly work out cheaper to use paraffin or something similar to break it down, I filled it up initially with the petrol/diesel mix, shook it up a bit then left it to soak for a bit, vigorous shaking again then it took a few flushes to get it coming out clean, maybe use the degreaser on the last rinse? I used strong washing up liquid to clean it out, then sat it in the sun for a bit to dry it, used a hairdryer for 10 minutes to make sure. Other people may do it differently.
veebug74

Post by veebug74 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:26 am

Bigger isnt always better,you will more than likely introduce lag ,The gains will if any be marginal .
Whacking up the boost pressure would make the biggest difference ,providing the fuelings there. :D
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm

veebug74 wrote:Bigger isnt always better,you will more than likely introduce lag ,The gains will if any be marginal .
Whacking up the boost pressure would make the biggest difference ,providing the fuelings there. :D
Like adding a light spring to he actuator rod (assuming the boost isn't already at max) :wink:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:11 pm

veebug74 wrote:Bigger isnt always better,you will more than likely introduce lag ,The gains will if any be marginal .
I was thinking that may be the case, Just seems like fitting a bigger chamber to fill in the middle of the pipework.
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:56 am

Do a search on here for "chargecooler" that is what I'll be doing. Just need some coolant pipework an electric waterpump and skinned knuckles and all systems will be go :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”