coolant flow - (follow up to cooling diagram)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

munroman
Tribal Elder

Re: coolant flow - (follow up to cooling diagram)

Post by munroman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:48 pm

One thing that the reliability of Japanese cars was attributed to was that they used tried and tested components like batteries and starter motors from one model 'cycle' to the next, whereas European and American manufacturers always had 'new' parts, which then had teething problems.

Partly this came about because the Japanese worked to a 4 year model cycle before a new one, whereas the Europeans and Americans were on an 8 year model cycle, so they had to incorporate new technology with the new models, which is riskier.

Some manufacturers started to 'hedge' their new technology by introducing new technology towards the end of a model cycle, so it was tested before the new model was introduced.

Stories have it that you are far better buying the last of an 'old' model, rather than the first year or so's production of a 'new' model.

As for Chinese parts, often many 'brands' are all made in the same factory, but reach market via different agents and importers.
I was once sourcing components from different companies, and asked to see the factory the parts were made in.

I saw the same factory 3 times........
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:17 pm

mikexgough wrote:

Steve....cost....I was offered mine at £2.87 each to UK....
I was thinking of getting some for testing against a Mazda supplied one...and against a FD N3A1 171 15 which some Jap owners use (it's an RX7 one) and a Witz 90916-03093 (again another the Japs are known to use for....a Toyota :shock: ) and report back later...

Interestingly, Mazda use the same 'stat even today in current production models as well as many passed models prior to and since the Friendee so I guess it's a robust and reliable bit of kit that they are happy with and suitable for more than just the WL-T engine.
That's a good price Mike :D. Can you get a supply at that price? I would be MORE than interested in any tests you do on them. Could be a winner. Await your results.
As far as Mazda using the same stat - an old saying comes to mind If it aint broke, don't fix it. Having personally looked at the Mazda stat in depth, I believe this comes into the 'not broke' category.

munroman - sound stuff =D>
Steve
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:01 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:
mikexgough wrote:

Steve....cost....I was offered mine at £2.87 each to UK....
I was thinking of getting some for testing against a Mazda supplied one...and against a FD N3A1 171 15 which some Jap owners use (it's an RX7 one) and a Witz 90916-03093 (again another the Japs are known to use for....a Toyota :shock: ) and report back later...

Interestingly, Mazda use the same 'stat even today in current production models as well as many passed models prior to and since the Friendee so I guess it's a robust and reliable bit of kit that they are happy with and suitable for more than just the WL-T engine.
That's a good price Mike :D. Can you get a supply at that price? I would be MORE than interested in any tests you do on them. Could be a winner. Await your results.
As far as Mazda using the same stat - an old saying comes to mind If it aint broke, don't fix it. Having personally looked at the Mazda stat in depth, I believe this comes into the 'not broke' category.

munroman - sound stuff =D>
Steve ...yep I can get a supply, also trying to get a price on these nice looking Stainless numbers too - :shock: these are within 1.5C tolerance too
Image and these people supply a large and well known EU maker too and also ISO 9001 and all that stuff... TUV & DEKRA approved
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:49 am

The Underside of the Stainless jobby

Just before I go to Mothers for the day..... had a price e-mailed to me.... delivered to the UK.... around £10 each

widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:27 am

mikexgough wrote:The Underside of the Stainless jobby

Just before I go to Mothers for the day..... had a price e-mailed to me.... delivered to the UK.... around £10 each
Appears to be a slightly different construcion (from the pic), but if it does the job, who cares. Have you tested one of these yet?
Another observation - from its colour, the main wax cylinder appears (from the pic) to be brass. All others I have seen look like a an oilite type mateial which is basically graphite impregnated bronze (self lubricating), and there is a big difference in performance, life span wise.

Incidentally, you mention it being stainless. I think they are all stainless, even the Blueprint. Wouldn't last very long if they weren't.

Look forward to your findings.
Steve
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:38 pm

I am running a non "Mazda" branded ....nope not revealing the maker yet, but very good results...seems faster warm up but that just may be because the 'stat is new and also still stays at the midway point (masoned gauge) shows a rise after a Mway thrash, then within a mile back to midway again, I am gonna get one of the Stainless jobs and try one out, but I want to try some others a month each to get a fair trial of them...

rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:37 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:

Appears to be a slightly different construcion (from the pic), but if it does the job, who cares. Have you tested one of these yet?
Another observation - from its colour, the main wax cylinder appears (from the pic) to be brass. All others I have seen look like a an oilite type mateial which is basically graphite impregnated bronze (self lubricating), and there is a big difference in performance, life span wise.

Incidentally, you mention it being stainless. I think they are all stainless, even the Blueprint. Wouldn't last very long if they weren't.

Hi,looks like the same as used on some Mercs and Audi,they should be good stats.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:01 pm

rita wrote:
widdowson2008 wrote:

Hi,looks like the same as used on some Mercs and Audi,they should be good stats.
Correct 100%..... I will enlighten more after I have used one... :wink: as I have a hunch with these...that they are going to be top notch, going by the specs

widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:25 am

At TGP's request, altered the colour of the flow between the stat and the pump to purple to attempt to show a mixture of HOT and COLD coolant. Also added the flow through the radiator. Hope this works for folk.

Heater circuit

Thermostat closed

Thermostat open
Steve

Return to “Techie Stuff”