Squeaky Bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Marianne

Squeaky Bongo

Post by Marianne » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi Folks,

I bought a lovely 1993 Bongo back in July which seems to have developed a squeak/squeal. I think it is coming from the front driver’s side wheel and is intermittent, but is incredibly loud when it does start. I thought it may be a ragged brake disc (the brakes are a bit squeaky too) but I had the brakes taken apart and checked at a free kwikfit brake check and they only said that my brake pads were worn (as expected) – but as there was no mention of this at the MOT – done by the previous owner just before I bought it, I’m assuming there is a bit more life in them yet. It doesn’t squeak when I drive over about 60mph and it appears that the squeal occurs more when I turn the wheel slightly to the right, but this is again, not always the case. Has anyone had a squeaky Bongo, or is this just something I need to get checked out at a garage? (any advice for good garages that can deal with Bongo’s in or around Oxford would also be gratefully received?)
321Away
Tribal Elder

Re: Squeaky Bongo

Post by 321Away » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Does the noise disappear when you turn the other way? sounds bit like a wheel bearing, although bongo's have a backing plate behind the discs which if bent can cause a squeak
Last edited by 321Away on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marianne

Post by Marianne » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:39 pm

yes the squeak does seem to stop, at least for a short while, when I steer straight again.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:40 pm

If it's a 93 bongo, is it a Brawny rather than a Friendee?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
not so old
Supreme Being

Post by not so old » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Welcome to the forum Marianne :) Is it a Brawnie Bongo that you have ? I didn't know the SGL was pre 1995! Wheels as suggested by 321 sounds right. Our Bongo had a squeal, but it turned out to be the roof :shock: I live in Oxfordshire, but I am lucky enough to have a neighbour who sorts mine. I have also had some jobs done by 321 . Sorry I don't know of anywhere local, but hopefully someone will be along soon to help :D

Cheers Anna
Things always get better after they are worse
So it's good to make things worse as soon as possible!
not so old
Supreme Being

Post by not so old » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Sorry Kirsty.... You beat me too the Brawnie bit #-o
Marianne

Post by Marianne » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks, this is the first forum I have ever joined :D

erm... I don't think it is a brawnie (it has 'Bongo Friendee' written on it I think)
not so old
Supreme Being

Post by not so old » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Marianne wrote:Thanks, this is the first forum I have ever joined :D

erm... I don't think it is a brawnie (it has 'Bongo Friendee' written on it I think)
In which case it is probably 1995 and not 1993. I am sure you will enjoy the forum we are a freindly bunch and will help where we can :D

Cheers Anna
Marianne

Post by Marianne » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:35 pm

ok - I shall find a garage and get my wheel bearings checked in the first instance, and report back. Many thanks! :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”