Burning oil. And tyre pressures.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Re: burning oil

Post by bigdaddycain » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:38 am

Hi, i'm running 245/45/18's, and never run at less than 40 psi... 45psi in the summer. :wink:

Kirsty's on the right track i reckon... The smoke could be down to a failed EGR valve, the oil usage could well be an unrelated leak that is being soaked up by the sound suppressent material on the plastic engine tray.

I wouldn't bother rebuilding the block if it's shot, i'd replace the block with a proven bottom end (perhaps from a ford ranger if more readily available) Then i'd re-skim the block face, have the new head pressure tested (£40? as a precation) then re-assemble.
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:49 am

the jonesys wrote: the load rating on all tyres is xtra load and rated at 97 he checked them out and said the plys had not been affected and they would be ok for a bit. there is a near perfect circle around the tyres almost like a knife cut and he put it down to underinflated tyres i was running them at 30 psi its a mistake i wont make again as bf goodrich replacements all around[ as they must be matching] is going to cost me £600 phew! after spending 12000 this year its going to ave to wait a while
That's good news :D 30psi is nowhere near enough, so they sound as if they're telling the truth about under-inflation - I run at 40psi all round.
You don't say what size wheels and tyres you've got but, if your speedo is reading 20% too slow, they are too small. Have a look here to work out what size tyre you need, to get them the same rolling circumference as the original 215/65x15s fitted by Mazda http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html (you don't need to enter your email etc - just scroll down the page to the calculator. This site can be good for tyres http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 am

the jonesys wrote: its got big alloys which i had refurbished with very low profiles on
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
the jonesys

Post by the jonesys » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:32 am

maybe i should of started another thread for the tyre topic but too late now. the tyres on it are a make i havnt heard of before CLEAR HPT66 245 40ZR1897WXL i will be changing them to bf goodridge
321Away
Tribal Elder

Re: Burning oil. And tyre pressures.

Post by 321Away » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Out of curiosity as cant find a mention, what colour is the smoke?

Return to “Techie Stuff”