checking tappet clearances

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Re: checking tappet clearances

Post by thedogsbollox » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:57 pm

bobngo wrote:dogsbollox, that brilliant thinking, that going to be my first move.

thx alot , why ca,nt i think like that, lateral thinking or as they say now thinking outside the box

then if the noise does not move ,i,ll try tappets, and just hope its not something in the bottom end !!! although japanese engine are not normally noted for having bottom end problems , !!
what? I suggested getting it tested. Rita said to swap it. Brilliant.
@mike. Are you sure it is difficult. On my plant motors it was just swap old for new.
stevedon
Bongonaut

Post by stevedon » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:00 am

the old pump method for testing injectors is the hartridge pump you can measure the break off pressure(fuel pressure needed to be reached before the injector injects)and see the spray pattern.a injector is only a casing with a insert shaped like a top hat ,inside that is a shaft whos end comes to a point and fits into a mirrored shape inside.the shaft is held in place by a strong spring whose pressure can be regulated with a shim, as the diesels presurre increases eventualy it will force the shaft back and spray.The spray partern should look like one from a misting sprayer used for plant care if the shaft and housing are worn or dirty you will get a jet of diesel which will cause the engine to knock.
The nozzels are easily replaced and are not too expensive.You just take them home re-fit job done.Some places will offer a exchange set.
You could try resting a long screwdriver on each injector in turn and (putting your ear on the screwdriver)listening to which one sounds different
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:20 am

This was a recent addition to the Bongo Clinic archives:

Q: My Bongo started making a massive racket. I had the valve clearances checked, but it wasn't that. Is it possible that the bottom crank pulley (which drives the Waterpump) is faulty? Is it expensive to replace? (Michael from Chesterfield)

A: Although not a common problem, it has happened to some others. Apprantly the rubber perishes and needs replacing. You can obtain new ones (about £200) via the Partfinder Service in the members-area of this website, but if you phone someone like Bell Hill Garage (01373-834252) they can usually supply a second hand one for about £65 plus postage
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:20 pm

Good call Ian! =D> it could be as simple as that.

If anyone is having difficulty geting injectors tested then PM me for my address and send them to me - I have access to a Hartridge tester.

The injectors are easy to replace if you have the correct deep socket (forgotten the size). Also important to fit a new copper sealing washer.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

thedogsbollox wrote:@mike. Are you sure it is difficult. On my plant motors it was just swap old for new.
No I'm not, just aware of cautionary tales about injectors so wanted to make sure those who might know could offer a confirmation either way. Its a bit like the old story - measure twice, cut once.

I'm probably getting confused (I do that :lol: ) between the pump and the injectors, as I don't really understand the technology and hence where one ends and the other begins :roll:
bobngo

Post by bobngo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 pm

i started a thread and just look at the help i,ve had ,this site is amazing.

i can see me coming back here time and time again

thank you everyone

bobngo
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:29 pm

stevedon wrote:the old pump method for testing injectors is the hartridge pump you can measure the break off pressure(fuel pressure needed to be reached before the injector injects)and see the spray pattern.a injector is only a casing with a insert shaped like a top hat ,inside that is a shaft whos end comes to a point and fits into a mirrored shape inside.the shaft is held in place by a strong spring whose pressure can be regulated with a shim, as the diesels presurre increases eventualy it will force the shaft back and spray.The spray partern should look like one from a misting sprayer used for plant care if the shaft and housing are worn or dirty you will get a jet of diesel which will cause the engine to knock.
The nozzels are easily replaced and are not too expensive.You just take them home re-fit job done.Some places will offer a exchange set.
You could try resting a long screwdriver on each injector in turn and (putting your ear on the screwdriver)listening to which one sounds different
Yes thats the boyo. And you gave me a good memory of using the screwdriver method to detect which cylinder was knocking and the owner looking at me like i was mad.. :)
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:31 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
thedogsbollox wrote:@mike. Are you sure it is difficult. On my plant motors it was just swap old for new.
No I'm not, just aware of cautionary tales about injectors so wanted to make sure those who might know could offer a confirmation either way. Its a bit like the old story - measure twice, cut once.

I'm probably getting confused (I do that :lol: ) between the pump and the injectors, as I don't really understand the technology and hence where one ends and the other begins :roll:
I think you may be right there, the pump is a bit of a bee atch

Return to “Techie Stuff”