Wiring Car Stereo To Leisure Battery Help Needed Please

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

B*Witched Blingo
Supreme Being

Wiring Car Stereo To Leisure Battery Help Needed Please

Post by B*Witched Blingo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:18 pm

Can anyone help.

Ady wants (on my request) to wire the stereo to run off the Leisure Battery. I am paranoid about leaving the ignition on not the stereo when in camping mode. Just to save him a bit of time if anyone can help it would be really greatfully appreciated.

Cheers
You Tube Films Click Here
"Get your wellies out. No likey floaty Bongo's"
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Re: Wiring Car Stereo To Leisure Battery Help Needed Please

Post by westonwarrior » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:42 pm

If you have a willinton kit it plugs straight into fuse 1

if not take fuse 1 out and run a fused wire from the leisure battery and push the other end into the fuse socket.

Or better find the power wire at the rear of the radio and cut it and connect it to a fused wire from the leisure battery.

better to get larger rated wire than you realy need, or even better get an auto electrician to do it if you are not sure should be a 10 min job
B*Witched Blingo
Supreme Being

Post by B*Witched Blingo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Thank you. It has a split charge, but not willington. It has an extra fuse box near the LB. Not sure what for. I'll take a pic if the helps. Appreciate your time. :wink:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:06 pm

You might also want to check that you can turn the radio completely off, to save flattening the L/B as well ! Some radios will still continue to draw a sizeable current when "apparently" off normally they are the type that continues to show the time etc. on the display - mine did this until I found the right setup configuration to actually shut down everything, Sony sets have it under "Auto off" it needs to be set for a time like 30seconds after which it can only be turned back on from the front panel on/off switch again.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Romney_YW
Bongonaut

Post by Romney_YW » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:14 am

Does any of this help?
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 55&start=0

Actually, it may not. Previous post refers particularly to the permanent 12V supply to the radio (preserves the tuning memory settings, etc) while you are asking about the ignition-switched 12V which wakes the radio up when you turn the key.

I've made this modification to my Bongo - I seem to remember re-wiring the feed to two or three fuses in the fuse box. The fuses have a common bus-bar supply which was connected to the ignition-switched supply and I modified it to take the feed from the leisure battery instead. This also moves the electric blinds (useful to check what the weather is up to) and the cigar lighter sockets. I think the detail is now in the 'Current Affairs' fact-sheet which is mentioned in the other post.

A word of warning - with my particular radio (Sony) turning it off at the front panel is not the same thing as turning it off via the ignition key. My radio front panel lights stay on, the animated display keeps animating and after a few hours it gets quite warm. I'm going to fit an extra switch in the dashboard somewhere so I can simulate the ignition key and turn it off properly (may need some sort of two-way circuitry so I can also turn it on/off from the back of the van :D ). Meanwhile, I just pop off the removable front and stick it in the glove compartment. 8)

Hope this all helps. If you're still having problems, I'll try to remember to stick my head under the dashboard of my Bongo to refresh my memory of what I actually did ...... (It's several months ago and I've done alot of other things since! :wink: )

Regards...

[One day, I'll set up a signature on this forum!]
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:21 am

if you check your stereo's they normally have an off button or holding down the source/power button for several seconds will power them down, worst case scenario pulling off the front will turn it off, 99% of all major brands of stereo can be switched off, reading your book of destructions will show you how :D

julian
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:40 am

I had an idea kicking around for a while where the radio & blinds on my tintop was on a permanent live, then switched off via a relay when the van was alarmed/locked, thus switching off the the radio should it be left on... :-k :idea:
Now i don't have an LB, but could something not be applied so anything left on by accident when leaving the vehicle was turned off when locking up..?

g8dhe, could this be done say using the a spur off the line that controls the immobilizer on the alarm system to cut off the power while the van is locked?? :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:26 am

what alarm do you have? most have a control output wire that can be ued to ativate a module etc, unless you have a cheap alarm with the simple relay immobiliser then dont touch the immobiliser control bus wire as you'll have a good chance of ruining your whole setup.

Check your alarms install manual to find the wire and wether it switches positive or negative (more expensive alarms go negative), but anything can be done if you understand the alarm and its functions. there are lots of aftermarket modules out there that can be added to most cars, you dont have to stick to 1 brand.

Getting drawn off topic, using a meter check your leisure battery fuses and find which are live, then run a wire fom there into the vehicle and connect it to the stereo, using the standard factory connector on the back of the unit join the red/yellow (power/memory) and join that to the wire from the leisure battery or like the post above you'll draw power from LB and memory from MB.

Julian
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:17 pm

jaylee wrote:g8dhe, could this be done say using the a spur off the line that controls the immobilizer on the alarm system to cut off the power while the van is locked??
A lot of alarm / immobilisers have a secondary output either from the main line or controlled via additional switches so yes it should be easy to arrange, just depends on what is already fitted.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:25 pm

g8dhe wrote:
jaylee wrote:g8dhe, could this be done say using the a spur off the line that controls the immobilizer on the alarm system to cut off the power while the van is locked??
A lot of alarm / immobilisers have a secondary output either from the main line or controlled via additional switches so yes it should be easy to arrange, just depends on what is already fitted.
Cheers Geoff, i wouldn't like to advertise what i have fitted.. But what i have could do it! :wink:

Food for thought.. :-k :D
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
B*Witched Blingo
Supreme Being

Post by B*Witched Blingo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Thank you for your help peeps. :D Ady has sorted the stereo for me. I take the face off the stereo as we park up just to be on the safe side. Will look later at seeing how to check and wire the Interior lights to the leisure Battery. One job at a time. #-o

Return to “Techie Stuff”