V6 Getting Hot

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rossw

V6 Getting Hot

Post by rossw » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi folks,

Just took my Freda to France for the first time with the family for two weeks and it was fantastic. However after driving off the ferry the engine compartment under the driver's seat started feeling very hot. If I put my hand on the plastic of the engine compartment it was almost too hot to touch. Immediately stopped and had a look inside for anything suspicious but couldn't see anything. There is a black box that seemed very hot but I don't know what it is. Started up again and it was fine. I have never had this before. For info it is a V6 converted to LPG but tried it in petrol with no change so is definitely not the BRC system. Can anyone offer an explanation and identify the box. Can't get the photo on but it is towards the driver's door side of the engine compartment and has a wide pipe coming out of it about 10cm diameter.

Many thanks,

Rossw.
Cloughy
Bongonaut

Re: V6 Getting Hot

Post by Cloughy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Sounds like the air filter housing. If it is there are clips you can undo by hand to check if you need a new/clean filter.

C
rossw

Post by rossw » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks for your reply.

How can you tell if the filter needs changing and why would a filter housing get so hot??
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:29 pm

Sounds like your scavenger fan may not be working - loads of info already on the forum, just do a search for scavenger :D
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:33 pm

How can you tell if the filter needs changing
It will be a dirty black colour.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Cloughy
Bongonaut

Post by Cloughy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Not sure why it hot, sorry. Just trying to help identify the black box.
If it is oily, black with dirt or the zigzagged surface is mishapen it needs changing to help with economy and help the engine run properely. I change my more often than recommended as they are quite cheap and easy to fit.
Hope someone more techie can explain if a blocked filter will make the engine too hot.

Cloughy
rossw

Post by rossw » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Its definitely not part of the LPG system. I will try and post a photo.
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi there,

Don't panic but it's worth sorting out.

2 things here, firstly you want to be sure the engine isn't running too hot, easiest way is to fit a mason alarm or a TM2 from hayden.

The engine bay can get quite hot, there is a scavenger fan that cuts in to cool this, sensor is by the handbrake.

Post here explains how to check this out:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=33426

Regarding the black pipe, has to be the air intake. There will be a square box near the rear that houses the filter, 4 spring clips to pop off, then take the lid off, then take out the paper element. If it's black and dirty then it's a good idea to change but can't see that causing the heat.

Post here on that:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 0&start=30
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:33 pm

Ditto :!: Sounds like the air box to me, wouldn't like to guess as to why it gets very hot tho, but depends how hot, my hands are on hot stuffs all day so i do have asbestos fingers, what i'm trying to say is never even noticed mine being worryingly hot but it is fairly close to the exhaust manifold, out of a matter of interest is the heat shield still on your exhaust pipe work just under the head :?: i'm sure mine has i will have a butchers when i got time :wink:

Dar
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
rossw

Post by rossw » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:35 am

Looking at the last link there the box is definitely the air intake filter housing. I will change the filter just cause it probably hasn't been changed for a while. The scavenge fan does work, I left it running on the driveway and after a while the fan came on. It certainly doesn't get as hot anymore. Maybe just a one off.

Many thanks for all the help.

Rossw.

Return to “Techie Stuff”