Waeco 50 Cruise Control

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Benjymac

Waeco 50 Cruise Control

Post by Benjymac » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:18 am

Hi,

Just fitted a Waeco 50 cruise control (with great advice/instructions from Simon Jones) and thought I would mention a little, if not required, tip.

My mechanic fitted the cruise control and used the magnets and sensor on the prop shaft. This worked well but cruise dropped out at about 35mph. This was resolved by fitting a second magnet at 180 deg. to the first thus increasing the pulse count and dropping the lower limit to about 20-25 mph.

However, through Simon's experience, I decided to use the speedo (SP+) terminal to hopefully gain a better pulse. Not wanting to undo what had already been done I decided to add a small double pole switch (~£2.50 from Maplins) and wire up the prop shaft senor to one port and the speedo sensor to the other. The common port was then wired to the Waeco control unit.

This now allows me to choose which sensor I want to use. So if I lose the speedo sensor signal I can switch the cruise to use the prop shaft/magnet sensor and in the interim use my sat nav to gain an approximation to road speed.

Admittedly not a particularly stunning tip but maybe something that may be considered.

Regards

Benj

p.s. Have to admit that the Waeco 50 is very smooth and hopefully I will get a lot of use on the French roads this summer. Can't beat sitting in a chair with just a steering wheel to control :)
lizard
Supreme Being

Re: Waeco 50 Cruise Control

Post by lizard » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:32 am

Have you found any benefit in changing from speedo to propshaft. I have found that the speedo fitting is excellent and have never worried about fitting anything else.
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

F Zappa
Benjymac

Re: Waeco 50 Cruise Control

Post by Benjymac » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:57 am

No not really. The fact that the prop shaft sensor was fitted I thought I would add the speedo sensor but allow to switch over in the rare case I may need to. The speedo sensor in my opinion feels ever so slightly better, a bit smoother.

Return to “Techie Stuff”