Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

kev&caz
Bongonaut

How hot are You?

Post by kev&caz » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi all,
I hope all is well where you are? :D
Any how my question. :roll:
I have had my Haydn temperature / coolant gauge fitted at the bash. I have run it for a couple of weeks to see my top temperature. On Saturday on a run down the M5 across the M50 and through traffic on the way to Ross on Wye the temperature got to 102 degrees. So I have set the alarm at 103 degrees. As Hayden suggested the normal hot/cold gauge did not move from where it’s been since we had the van. But does this seem high? This is also the first time I think I have used the air conditioning I would imagine this will make a slight difference. So guy’s / gals how hot is dangerous? :?
PS. found great site close to Ross town centre with a fishing pool. :D
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Re: How hot are You?

Post by westonwarrior » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:13 pm

all Bongos will run at slightly different temps

What is important is an unusual rise in temp Mine sits at about 92 so I have mine set at 100 I have seen it get to 95 on slow steep hill crawling up in locked low gear

But my sensor is in a different place to yours (I havent got round to relocating it yet)

Yours should be set at between 97 and 100 IMHO to give it a bit of slack so to speak
kev&caz
Bongonaut

Post by kev&caz » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi Weston warrior,
The gauge was set at 100 when fitted. But it went off on Saturday and by gum it makes you jump. So I increased it by one degree till 103 stopped the siren. So I will leave it 103. It just seems a little high? But as I said the normal gauge
never moved at all so I’m not too worried. I know I’m not losing fluid and everything is working fine. (I think)
not so old
Supreme Being

Post by not so old » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:27 pm

When towing mine has hit 118/119, but alls well. Normally about 90
Things always get better after they are worse
So it's good to make things worse as soon as possible!
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 pm

oops my bad I read it as 93 not 103

yours is a better level than my recomendation should be a few over your normal hottest
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:18 pm

Your readings seem very much like my own. I would set it to 105 but if you were towing or pushing it up a long hard hill expect it to perhaps go a little higher.....What shouldn't happen is it going off when you are just cruising along at 60MPH. If that ever happens then I would find out why..If the cause is coolant loss the Low Coolant alarm should have gone off long before the temp rises...so suspect...Stat closed, water pump not pumping, large air bubble or blockage. Any "other" Bongo's sending in info reguarding TM-2 temps must have the sensor in the same place as yourself to mean anything to you....
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:20 pm

mine are 92 most of the time set to go off at 102
patnben
Bongolier

Post by patnben » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:38 pm

TM2 sensor on exhaust side cylinder head.

Leisurely 60 MPH: average 92 C.

Pushing 70 MPH: average 94 C.

Towing small caravan on long uphill @ 60 MPH: average 105 C.

Set alarm at 110 C.
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:07 pm

Moved mine to where Hadyn recommended - now its reading around 90 - 92 on level and up to 95/96 on fairly steepish but quite long climbs. Is there a thread where people have put their sensor at the rear of the engine, so we can start to compare temperatures?
stevedon
Bongonaut

Post by stevedon » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:59 pm

using a engine watchdog with the thermocouple on the drivers sise of the engine at the front .Normal driving @83-86 towing a 5m boat upto 92 we did go higher until i replaced the rad and thermostat with mazda original units,
Roberus
Bongonaut

Post by Roberus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Did a 600 mile round trip last weekend in really hot weather including the great M25 carpark....highest ours went was to 93 degrees but mostly sat at 86 degrees. I have relocated this to the rear of the head as suggested previously.

BTW a quick MPG calc came back with nearly 38mpg on the first leg of the trip :?: :!:
Tin Tin shall rise again!

Return to “Techie Stuff”