Any thoughts on easy place to fit an oil temp. sensor?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Any thoughts on easy place to fit an oil temp. sensor?

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon May 18, 2009 6:22 pm

Keen readers may have witnessed a rather long and circular debate on this on another thread. I'm curious about measuring oil temp on a Bongo if it can be easily done. It seems to me I can get a both a gauge and a sensor without much trouble, but I'm not sure where you might easily place the sensor, or if the Bongo actually has one already in order to actuate a warning light.

Anyone got any thoughts? I'm aware of a plate you could attempt to fit on the oil filter attachment point, but these seem to be around £30 on ebay plus I'd need to investigate whether they would fit a Bongo etc.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this.

We'll keep the debate about the merits (or otherwise) of measuring oil temp. on the other thread I think! :lol:

Thanks chums

Mike 8)
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Re: Any thoughts on easy place to fit an oil temp. sensor?

Post by cheffy34 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 pm

I have thought of it aswell mike, and looked at those plates that go between the oil filter, i could be talkin twoddle but i think a t piece will be available that i presume (presumption is the mother of all f### #ps tho) goes into the oil warning switch/light so you then have two feeds :? i could be wrong but i do know a gent on here that will have the answer i expect the man himself will be along shortly :wink: I like extra gauges to look at who care's what they do :lol: :lol:

Dar
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon May 18, 2009 11:18 pm

Thanks Dar - will wait and see what he says. I've been doing some casual research tonight. There seem to be sump plug adaptors, though at least one person said they had trouble stopping seepage (although another used PTFE tape and didn't). There seemed to be a general view that measuring temp in a pool of oil (i.e. sump or oil filter areas) gave best results, although one person said taking it at the point where it was being fed into the galleries was best as this told what temp the oil was when it was about to go its work. Most of the debate was about checking oil temp to ensure it was not too hot and losing viscosity thus increasing engine wear. Measuring coolant temp was a more immediate way of gauging variations in engine heating (e.g. under load) - I suppose that would point to using the standard temp gauge sensor to drive a water temp gauge (or just using the Mason to undamp the std gauge so it showed variations). I'm curious to explore oil temps though and what use measuring them might be. Whether I'll get around to fitting one, I don't know. Depends how much energy I've got for Bongo fettling instead of Bongo camping :lol:

Where to mount the gauge is the other thing. I don't want a blip on top of the dashboard, or blocking a cubby. It would be possible to make a fairing at left hand side of footwell and mount one there so it would be in view. Nice and discreet. I fancy an old fashioned round gauge and needle, but with adjustable alarm for fun 8)
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Tue May 19, 2009 12:00 am

:lol: Needle gauges are so yesterday................... 8)
I got this for my veg temp.

Has these fittings with it.

£20.00 inc postage. :wink:

I got 3 gauges from them for £50.00 inc postage for my veg oil system.
To infinity and beyond
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:11 am

The Great Pretender wrote::lol: Needle gauges are so yesterday................... 8)
I got this for my veg temp.

Has these fittings with it.

£20.00 inc postage. :wink:

I got 3 gauges from them for £50.00 inc postage for my veg oil system.

That is cheap :shock: WHO :?: i want :wink:

Dar
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Tue May 19, 2009 12:19 am

To infinity and beyond
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue May 19, 2009 12:37 am

I don't think mine would suit the red surround............... 8)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 am

dandywarhol wrote:I don't think mine would suit the red surround............... 8)
:lol: No problem, also supplied in pink.
:wink:
To infinity and beyond
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Tue May 19, 2009 10:09 am

Hi Mike,

I think if you go for an electronic temp gauge rather than the older type that had a probe it would be easier to fit. Most now come with adaptors so you remove the oil pressure sender, insert an adaptor, then re-insert the original pressure sender in one side, then add pressure and/or temp sensors in the other spaces as needed. That removes the need for an adaptor plate between the oil filter etc and is easier to install and less likely to leak etc.

Example of a cheaper gauge kit here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Water-Temperature ... m153.l1262

I found a better looking gauge set the other day, with the option to set an alarm if temp got too high, they were around £45 each mind.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 19, 2009 2:13 pm

apole wrote:Hi Mike,

I think if you go for an electronic temp gauge rather than the older type that had a probe it would be easier to fit. Most now come with adaptors so you remove the oil pressure sender, insert an adaptor, then re-insert the original pressure sender in one side, then add pressure and/or temp sensors in the other spaces as needed. That removes the need for an adaptor plate between the oil filter etc and is easier to install and less likely to leak etc.

I found a better looking gauge set the other day, with the option to set an alarm if temp got too high, they were around £45 each mind.
Thanks+++ Andy - you're starting to make me think it could be done without too much hassle. I need talking through on this one.

Like you I identified a gauge with adjustable alarm at around that price - just what'd I'd buy if I can get the sensor side of things sorted.

TGP - I've been through digital and come out the other side. I want to be back in a Bongo-Min-Cooper from c1965 - or even earlier :lol:
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Tue May 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi Mike,

Found it, I think you can get in different colours:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Blue-Stepper-Moto ... 7C294%3A50

There is also one made by Saga would you believe but I'm still living in denial about that, just hope my kids don't find out or that will be the next form of entertainment for them ....
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 19, 2009 7:43 pm

Found it, I think you can get in different colours:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Blue-Stepper-Moto ... 7C294%3A50

There is also one made by Saga would you believe but I'm still living in denial about that, just hope my kids don't find out or that will be the next form of entertainment for them ....

Mmmmmm. Yum yum, slurp slobber slobber :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 19, 2009 11:07 pm

Anyone know where the oil sender is located on a diesel Bongo and whether it would be practical to do as Apole suggests? :roll:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 20, 2009 4:34 am

Hi Mike
Did you mention Mini Cooper!!!!!
Worst thing I ever did was sell my 1 of a 1000 Mini Cooper S 970 cc Homologation model 1964 model registered '65.....wonderful car....driven at speed limits fuel economy reasonable.....race other vehicles, and it emptied the twin tanks at alarming speed.....FUN
In answer to your dilemna, try a sandwich plate from this chap
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Autodials_Gaug ... idZ2QQtZkm
Next on my list after respray and new wheels is :- extra water Temp, oil pressure, oil temp, 2 volts gauges, and lots of switches for some other devices I have installed 8) 8) 8) 8)
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Yamaha
Bongolier

Post by Yamaha » Tue May 26, 2009 1:10 am

"Anyone know where the oil sender is located on a diesel Bongo and whether it would be practical to do as Apole suggests?"

I also would be interested to know where the sender is situated. Anyone?

Mike
Curator of the Bridgwater Motorbike Collection

Return to “Techie Stuff”