Any thoughts on easy place to fit an oil temp. sensor?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

apole
Supreme Being

Re: Any thoughts on easy place to fit an oil temp. sensor?

Post by apole » Wed May 27, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the pics.

From the pic below, my theory (which is probably complete nonsense !!) is:

You remove the oil pressure sensor and replace with item circled in red.

Into the silver square lump of metal with threaded holes in it you put the original pressure sender into one side hole.

The sensor circled in yellow goes into another hole in the square block, and is then wired into the new gauge.

Any remaining holes in the side of the square block are blanked off, probably with the items circled in green or whatever fits.

The block with all the sensors is then (or beforehand if easier and more sensible with wiring etc) screwed into the item circled in red that replaced the original switch in the block.

Be careful not to overtighten anything as it's alloy and easily damaged.

That's a theory anyway, let us know how you get on as we are interested !!!

Good luck and thanks again for your help and pics etc.

Andy
Aethelric
Bongolier

Post by Aethelric » Wed May 27, 2009 6:30 pm

Yamaha wrote:
Aethelric wrote:well this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-SMOKED- ... |294%3A200
Comes with a sender.

The oil goes into the cooler at the bottom part of the radiator. It may be possible to fix something on the input to the radiator, or on that pipe.

Dave
Well, that may be an alternative place for the sender - never looked at this cooler, so I wasn't aware it existed. Is it definitely engine oil it cools - not, maybe, transmission oil?

Also, would you not need to drain it when doing an oil change, then? Don't remember it being mentioned in the oil changing threads.

Mike
Oops
You are right Mike, its the transmission oil.
Maybe a modified sump plug would do the job.

Dave
Yamaha
Bongolier

Post by Yamaha » Wed May 27, 2009 6:42 pm

"That's a theory anyway, let us know how you get on as we are interested !!!"

Oh dear - am I to be the guinea pig - not used to being at the cutting edge of technology!!

When I get the Bongo up in front of the house again (normally lives on the road) I'll give it a go. One more job to add to ever-lengthening list of "things that need doing".

Thanks for the comments, guys - and interesting thread.

Mike
Curator of the Bridgwater Motorbike Collection

Yamaha
Bongolier

Post by Yamaha » Wed May 27, 2009 7:21 pm

"Maybe a modified sump plug would do the job."

I did wonder about that option, Dave - but was wondering - any crud circulating in the oil would naturally accumulate around the sump plug - I would imagine - would this affect the operation of the sensor, especially as I tend to suck the old engine oil out with a Pela pump, and not necessarily use the sump plug, so crud could accumulate over time.

Mike
Curator of the Bridgwater Motorbike Collection

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Yamaha wrote:"Maybe a modified sump plug would do the job."

I did wonder about that option, Dave - but was wondering - any crud circulating in the oil would naturally accumulate around the sump plug - I would imagine - would this affect the operation of the sensor, especially as I tend to suck the old engine oil out with a Pela pump, and not necessarily use the sump plug, so crud could accumulate over time.

Mike
From a bit I read on t'internet the sump is a good place to take oil temp as the sensor is immersed in a good volume of oil that is giving a steady temp. On the other hand, I read of peeps having a few problems with weeping from the sump plug sensor (one cured it with PTFE tape). Also (I think it was BF member Helen of Helen&Tony who said it) the sump plug location is vulnerabe to damage from being hit if you ground the car e.g. in long grass etc.)
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Thu May 28, 2009 12:03 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
Yamaha wrote:"Maybe a modified sump plug would do the job."

Mike
From a bit I read on t'internet the sump is a good place to take oil temp as the sensor is immersed in a good volume of oil that is giving a steady temp. On the other hand, I read of peeps having a few problems with weeping from the sump plug sensor (one cured it with PTFE tape). Also (I think it was BF member Helen of Helen&Tony who said it) the sump plug location is vulnerabe to damage from being hit if you ground the car e.g. in long grass etc.)
Is that after you rip of the undertray? :shock:
To infinity and beyond
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu May 28, 2009 9:07 am

Hi Mike
Noo...I said that many years ago, I read several texts that quoted the sump plug adaptors are prone to giving poor readings, as they are cooled by air passing the sender. I took heed of that, as my interest was race engines in minis, however, the Bongo is shielded by the undertray, and less likely to give a poor reading, but I still would not trust it. I reckon my favourite spot would be a sandwich plate fitting between the oil filter and its housing/ seating. If any problems are experienced , it's easy to just remove it. Personally, and I stress personally, I don't like "T" pieces which fit in place of the warning light sender, as the very least of the problems is that the "T" piece adaptors are usually made of soft, cheap, aluminium or brass, and when tightened they still fail to seal, as the threads are often badly matched to the original tapered tapping, as they are so-called "universal" fitments. When removing the adaptors, bits of thread from the adaptor can shear off, and end up you know where when you replace the original sender....namely in the oil gallery. I don't know the Mazda engine in depth, as I do with my favourite engine, but even using PTFE tape to get a seal looks dodgy to me...what happens to some of the "bits" in the exposed region of the first part of the taper?.....an engine is subject to huge changes of temperature in the oil system, and the possibilities of the tape age-hardening in these extremes, and bits breaking off also fill me with dread. I like the idea of an oil temp. gauge , but try the sandwich plate. I shall try one of these later on myself...only for curiosity, as I'd like to fit an oil pressure gauge. Again, purely from my point of view, a pressure gauge is a good bet, as a noticeable drop in pressure will also indicate over-hot oil, but , more importantly, show up any untimely lag in buildup of oil pressure on startup, when a lot of damage occurs
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 28, 2009 1:30 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi Mike
Noo...I said that many years ago, I read several texts that quoted the sump plug adaptors are prone to giving poor readings, as they are cooled by air passing the sender. I took heed of that, as my interest was race engines in minis, however, the Bongo is shielded by the undertray, and less likely to give a poor reading, but I still would not trust it. I reckon my favourite spot would be a sandwich plate fitting between the oil filter and its housing/ seating. If any problems are experienced , it's easy to just remove it. Personally, and I stress personally, I don't like "T" pieces which fit in place of the warning light sender, as the very least of the problems is that the "T" piece adaptors are usually made of soft, cheap, aluminium or brass, and when tightened they still fail to seal, as the threads are often badly matched to the original tapered tapping, as they are so-called "universal" fitments. When removing the adaptors, bits of thread from the adaptor can shear off, and end up you know where when you replace the original sender....namely in the oil gallery. I don't know the Mazda engine in depth, as I do with my favourite engine, but even using PTFE tape to get a seal looks dodgy to me...what happens to some of the "bits" in the exposed region of the first part of the taper?.....an engine is subject to huge changes of temperature in the oil system, and the possibilities of the tape age-hardening in these extremes, and bits breaking off also fill me with dread. I like the idea of an oil temp. gauge , but try the sandwich plate. I shall try one of these later on myself...only for curiosity, as I'd like to fit an oil pressure gauge. Again, purely from my point of view, a pressure gauge is a good bet, as a noticeable drop in pressure will also indicate over-hot oil, but , more importantly, show up any untimely lag in buildup of oil pressure on startup, when a lot of damage occurs
Cheers
Helen
A good post. Interesting though that other peeps have been recommending the sump as a good place to measure. Personally, I had imagined the sender would be protruding up into the oil so not affected by slipstream effects, though not having seen one of these things..... :roll:

The sandwich plate does seem universally favoured and its only (1) cost and (2) possible accessibility problems that deter me a bit. Also, I do worry about sealing problems with them but maybe thats illogical 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”